Proper Usage of a Backpack

Hi there,

Aleu is just bigger than a border collie, she weighs about 18kg; she gets an hour walk in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon too and an hour at night.

She has a backpack, this on to be exact:

32802_LRG.jpg

How often would use this on a dog like Aleu and what kind of weight would you use? I've been previously advised between 10-20% of her body weight by the *coughjerkcough* dog psychologist that SHWA said was a bad weight for her to carry and have been suggested bottles of water instead.

In sense of water; what size bottles would you use? 500ml either side? 250ml either side? Or would you use something else?

She has no problems with the backpack being on her back, she doesn't try to get it off or anything like that.

Thanks!

Stacey xxx

The absolute max weight a dog may carry is 1/3 of their ideal body weight for their height. If the dog is overweight at all (not suggesting Aleu is, this is just for information) you must include the excess weight as part of the backpack weight. For example if your dog should be around the 60Lbs mark but he is weighing in at 70Lbs he can only carry up to 20Lbs but due to being 10Lbs overweight he only has 10Lbs for the backpack. So if Aleu is at ideal weight it would be a max of 6Kg for her.

Now of course you can't just strap on the max amount and go to it, just like pulling you need to build the weight slowly. Also if you want to reach the max amount you must make absolutely sure that the backpack is even fitted correctly. Not all backpacks are the same and there are quite a number of them that just don't sit right. The bulk of the weight should be supported by the withers, NOT the middle of the back. That much weight expected to be carried by the spine can do lasting damage.

Building the weight with waterbottles is a great idea! Very easy to increase slowly and adjust as need be. I would do one walk a day or perhaps one every other day with the backpack. When my guys are wearing one they are in "work mode". This means they aren't allowed to stop and sniff around, or mark, or meet other people/dogs. While they do enjoy it they also enjoy "free time" walks where they get to just be a dog (with manners of course). Having the different types of walks changes things up for them and keeps them thinking rather than just always being the same old routine. "Work mode" gives them a sense of duty that they are performing a task which Sibes tend to ADORE. OC always gets super happy when his backpack comes out. Ronan does too but he would much rather see the harness come out LOL

Really interesting stuff Ren +1 for that! When you say Withers.. sorry for my ignorance is that the shoulders or the hind legs? As I have this backpack too and its straps at the front of the dog and would be very tricky to get the weight to the back..???

Stacey, I use the pet water bottles like this water bottles one in each side at the mo as Im just getting my boy used to it. :)

We just use 500 ml bottles with the spoprts tops on. They both prefer it squeezed into their mouth gently but we also carry a fold upbowl ours was a pound from a pound shop and we have used it now for 7 months with no probs. The most important thing with packing a back pack is that the weight is as even as possible, there is no need to take loads of stuff. Talon carried for two dogs. 2 water bottles,2 bottles of hotdogs 5 in each, a towel, their bown and a towel. He could carry far more but thats all he needed for a 3 hour walk. It saved me carrying it in my rucksack which I would have done normaly.

Really interesting stuff Ren +1 for that! When you say Withers.. sorry for my ignorance is that the shoulders or the hind legs? As I have this backpack too and its straps at the front of the dog and would be very tricky to get the weight to the back..???

Stacey, I use the pet water bottles like this water bottles one in each side at the mo as Im just getting my boy used to it. :)

Its the very tops of the "shoulder bone" you could say. What you want is the pack to be fitted so that most of the weight is sitting there. Does not need to be most of the backpack as the neck needs to have free range of movement too. Kinda hard to explain with just words LOL And unfortunately a picture doesnt always show it. You need to feel it.

Its the very tops of the "shoulder bone" you could say. What you want is the pack to be fitted so that most of the weight is sitting there. Does not need to be most of the backpack as the neck needs to have free range of movement too. Kinda hard to explain with just words LOL And unfortunately a picture doesnt always show it. You need to feel it.

Right yep I get what you mean.. thats fine I will check for this next time I load up my boy! :)