He's being a terror

I asked about this stuff before, but it's gotten a little worse. Kissu still does the hind leg slam to my moms dogs. The female especially. She's been acting more dominant than my moms other dog. He just runs and hides. Angel puts up with him, kinda. He keeps putting his butt in her face, and she doesn't like it, so she gives him warning barks and lunges at him. He thinks it's a game and puts his bum in the air and nips at her paws ( her paws are sensitive cause of allergies, so she REALLY doesn't like that). And he's relentless about it. No matter how many warning barks she gives, he doesn't listen. I know he's just a puppy and probably doesn't get it. But Angel is too well behaved to give a small warning bite.

When she gets aggressive about defending herself, Kissuna's little scruff stands up.

A little while ago my mom woke up and with her, followed her dogs. Kissu was really excited to see them, and right away started picking on Angel. This time instead of avoiding him, Trinity ran up and started to defend Angel. The way it was heading, it would have been both of them teaming up on him. So we put him outside for a little bit. Then when he came back in he started picking on Trinity, and Angel went to go help defend him. So my mom put Trinity in her room, so they couldn't both gang up on Kissu.

A vet tech suggested we take them on a walk together, and we have been doing that. At first it was working and they acted and looked like a pack. But the last three times he's started walking right beside Angel and biting playfully at her legs.

Angel and Trinity are both fixed. Kissu is not, as the vet said they don't fix dogs until 4 months, preferably 6 months. But Kissuna's already humping things and people. As it is, I'm the only living being in the house that he hasn't humped or even tried. My brother and my cat Sohma are his favorite targets for that.

I've suggested that we do one on one time in the house. Let Kissuna and Angel be in the same room, supervised of course. And do what I've seen on It's Me or the Dog. When he starts to get too out of hand, take him in my room for 5 seconds and then take him back out. And keep doing that until he settles down. But I'm still not sure if this is the right way to go about it.

We don't have any money for a behaviorist right now. So any tips or advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

To me it sounds like pup just has no idea when enough is enough when it comes to play. Especially when it comes to manners with other dogs. I would suggest perhaps doing basic training with the other dogs in the room and make sure pup focuses on you, may also be worth teaching a "calm" command or time out when you can just get pup to you and perhaps just have snuggles and calm time - maybe give pup a massage or something. To be honest dogs will tell each other when enough is enough when it comes to play but if you feel that other dogs are having problems holding their own then go and ask pup to move away and if pup listens and comes with you then lay on the praise. If not then force a time out.

Hope this helps. Good luck. xx

I agree, it all sounds like play to me. Everything zoe has said is spot on.

He clearly is quite rude with other dogs and hasn't learned any doggy eticate yet. I would look at taking him to socilisation classes or the dog park and letting him interact with other dogs so he learns a few more mannors.

If hes not responding when told off by dogs then you need to step in and teach him that when a dog tells him off it signals the end of play. You will need to remove him from the other dog by either calling him away or if that doesn't work then he will need to start having time outs.

Dog tells me off = end of play. Its something most dogs know instinctually but sometimes we have to show them what it means.

I really would get him out with other dogs so he starts to learn how to communicate.

When he is acting like that it's time for him to be separated into a different part of the house where he can't see what's going on with you all. 5 seconds isn't nearly enough time for them to calm down. We had a horribly behaved male Husky come into our kennel about a year or so ago now. Whenever he would start acting out of control and not picking up on the other dogs signals I would remove him and put him into a crate. He would not be allowed out until he settled and calmed down. Then I would let him out again. By the time the dog went home he was a perfect little angel and probably one of my favorite Huskies that we've boarded. Consistency is so important, you can't let anything slip.

Bringing him around more dogs will help too. He sounds as if he's got no idea how he is supposed to behave. Try to bring him around more dogs who are in control of their attitudes, but who also know when enough is enough and will tell a young pup so.

Good luck hun, I was pulling my hair out when mine were this young toobiggrin.gif

Im not sure if it is so important as to where he goes for time out. With Loki i tend to show him to a corner get him to sit then ask him to lay down and stay, when his time up is over and he is calm i say "ok or release" which says to him ok you are free to go. The thing with crate training is that you want to make it a nice place to be unless you train time out means in your crate but dont shut the door, if he comes back out just go and calmly put him back in but dont make eye contact or talk to him.

Just be firm and fair with him, he will be cheeky as he is still a pup but just be consistent and he should get the picture. xx

Go figure. The day after I make this post, Trinity decides that he's the dominant one (he had eye surgery to remove a tumor, so we're thinking he just might not have felt good for a while). My mom came out with her dogs a bit ago, and Kissuna started picking on Angel. She would bark, but not like how she does when she's annoyed. So we let him keep at it and watched him. It started to get a bit more escalated, so I got up to get ready to take him to his crate, and then they started to play nice again. Then Trinity and Kissu started playing a version of peekaboo around my moms legs. Then they went into the diner room and Trinity managed to get Kissu on his back, while standing over him, going for his chest. Meanwhile, not a snarl from either one. Kissuna's little scruff was standing up the whole time.

Trinity pinned him 3 times for maybe a minute each, and both handled it really well! (We were standing by with a blanket to break anything up).

Trin also loved biting Kissu's ears (No yelps). They're all wet now.

Angel was curious and seemed like she thought she might need to defend Trin, but we kept her back for a while. Then she went up to them while they were playing/showing dominance, and sniffed Kissu, and then just walked back to us. :D

Today it seems they just wanted to make a fool out of us. The brats. Hopefully it stays this way!

Day 2 has gone well so far. :) They're still playing and he's not harassing them the entire time.

Took him to an enclosed dog park just now. He stayed right by my feet as other dogs and people approached. He was very shy. We walked further into it after a while where there weren't as many dogs, and I let his leash go. He still stayed by us, more than likely cause he was afraid. Four dogs approached him at once, so he took off running. They ran after him a little, but then stopped and left him alone. He was hiding in a corner, the poor boy. :rolleyes:

But he was very well behaved. Very proud of him! I'm very eager to see him make doggie friends.