I love you.... how?

Dave

You "shape" the behavior. You do this by rewarding "talking" at first, saying "I love you" and giving the treat if your dog says something back. Gradually, you get pickier, and only reward talk that sounds closer and closer to what you want him to say. I

taught my first dog, Joy, to say "milkbone" to get her to stop barking at me. At first I accepted any vocalization that wasn't a bark, but eventually got something like "mik-boh". Then taught her "Bonz", which went very quickly once she figured out that different treats had different names, and that this was another kind of treat! Eventually, she talked a LOT!

One day when my parents were visiting, we went shopping. When we came home, we let the three dogs out of the kennel into the garage. Two followed my dad into the house, but Joy came over to my mom and me, and I'll swear that she said "Where WERE you?!" My mom and I looked at each other and said, "You heard that too, right?!" One of the funniest things I've ever seen. She was very smart, and understood a LOT of words and sentences. rolleyes.gif

Ive tried teaching chewy to talk to me like that since hes so vocal but he refuses. I guess he figures "its beneath him" lol.

I think its about repitition and rewards....mostly repeating the words in a low range simillar to the dog and if they repeat it,

they get rewarded...thats my best guess.

On a funny note...while I have been unable to convince chewy to say things to me...I have somehow unwittingly taught my

(6 year old) cat to say "Hi" and "hello" and something that sounds remarkably like "No way" lmao.

Definitely takes a lot of patience, keep repeating it to them, helps also to make the noise you want them to make in response. Nooks doesn't say I love you very often and then he only barks it and then only "Love You". Also try to get them excited to the point they will try anything to get the treat, Sounds cruel but it is effective. I've tried getting him to say food but he just sat there and looked at me as if I was stupid lol