Play or being grumpy? I can't tell.

Zihna loves to run laps around the pool and also around the house every now and then. The thing is that when she does that my chow mix will try and catch her. At first he may try and run after her and grab her. When he catches her she lays down and is submissive. When he don't feel like running after her (he is so out of shape lol) he will just stand there until she come past him and then try to catch her. Most of the time it is ok and no damage done. But sometimes she will squeak when he grabs her. Now I can not really tell if they are playing catch and he accidentally hurts her cause she be running so fast and it's hard for him to catch her her or if he just don't like her to run. Any other time he is really gentle with her. He even lays down when they play so she can climb all over him. Anyone has any ideas what they are doing?

I wonder if I made a mistake....because when we first got her and she stole a sock or other things and I tried to catch her to take it from her, Whisper would catch her for me a few times and I thought it was funny so I wonder if he thinks now that each time she runs he needs to make her stop?

Sounds like normal play to me. :D I wouldn't worry about it. The squeeky could just be supprise that shes been caught.

My Rotti is the same. She cant catch the greyhound by running after her so stalks her then cuts corners to grab hold of her. Its all in fun.

That sounds exactly like what they are doing. I figured it can't be too bad cause she keeps running right past him like she is saying: Catch me Catch me!! But I wanted to make sure.