Fights over toys...

Hey guys,

Just need some opinions and training advise..

Since we adopted Shadow three months ago Nukka has gotten very possesive over the toys in the house (both hers and ones bought for him) She will growl and bark at him if he plays with a toy till he stops and sits with it between his paws and then if she gets a chance she'll try to steal it and run away.

Now most of the time Shadow just lets her but just occasionally he'll take exception and she will fly at him and a nasty fight ensues... not had any injuries as yet but its scary with all the noise and theres bin fur pulled out.

Now I know resource guarding behaviour is normal but surely this is taking it too far? What can I try to train them out of this???

Any ideas?????

when i got Thor my girl Loki would do the same with him over toys, i removed all the toys in the house and garden. I only allowed them toys when i was there and if she started she lost her toy and was taken away leaving Thor to play, she soon realised and now they all play with no problems xxxxxx good luck

when i got Thor my girl Loki would do the same with him over toys, i removed all the toys in the house and garden. I only allowed them toys when i was there and if she started she lost her toy and was taken away leaving Thor to play, she soon realised and now they all play with no problems xxxxxx good luck

When you say started do you mean just growling and barking? (Nukka doesnt do it constantly she just sits and stares at him and occasionally will bark, shes not normall very noisey at all) And taken away do you mean like put in a time out by herself kinda thing?

So basically when he grabs a toy if she reacts I should tell her NO and isolate her for 5mins? Plan???

mine fight over bones - when they start i pull them off each other and remove the bones - they are slowly learning but have their moments - they only get their bones when we say and they are now supervised - they only do it with rawhide bones tho

Yep mine do it over bones too... I now either give them in the garden then sit in the middle so each stays with their own bone or in their crates both shut in (thi is part of my crate training regieme too so works well!):)