choke chain

The proper way to put on a choke collar is to put it in front of the dog so it looks like a horizontal 'P.' The leash is attached to the ring that does not have the collar sliding through it. From the leash then, the collar runs over the TOP of the dog's neck and then around to the other ring. When placed on your dog in this manner, pulling on the leash will cause the collar to tighten. When you relax the leash, the collar loosens.

choker_comparison.jpgIf placed on your dog incorrectly, the links of the collar go from the leash through the other ring and then UNDER the dog's neck. If placed on your dog incorrectly, the collar will often not automatically loosen when you pull on the leash.

It is best to receive training from a dog handler or trainer on the proper use of a choke collar. Injuries to dogs have occurred when the collars were incorrectly placed on the dog or used improperly. If your dog is very small or has a respiratory problem, choke chains are not recommended.

easy if it has 2 rings hold one ring and put the chain throughthe ring that u r holding until the two rings meet then slip it ova her head and attach the lead

Yes, but then you have to ensure that its not put on upside down, otherwise it won't release when the lead slackens.

Smooginz has posted excellent info on it. If used correctly they are check chains, it is only when they are used incorrectly that they become choke chains! I don't use them, but used to, when most trainers would use them and teach you how to use them.

I hope nobody uses a choke chain on a husky. With husky naturaly pulling they can do a lot of harm to the dog. I have seen them used to huskies abroad and found it distressing to watch the dog struggle against it.

its not a husky - not that would use a choke chain on a dog anyway - but this is what she uses on her dog and until i could get home to get my half check i wanted 2 make sure i was putting it on the dog right so i wouldnt hurt her

i now have the half check with me so i wont b using the choke again till her owners get home.

like i said i just wanted to make sure i was putting it on right when i DID have 2 walk her on