Dog sled race training

I would love a little bit more information from those who have trained their/owners dogs in sled racing.

At the moment we have been using these commands, They have picked them up but sometimes don't follow them which is fine since they're learning!

We have Left, right, on by, leave and woah, Please keep in mind these are our club commands!

The way i have been training them is i have them on leash and have them next to me (on the left) i walk and to turn left i say "left" then say "left left" and turn and when they turn they get phrased, same with right... On by i have a T section or a corner .. and walk them past them and say "on by" with leave i throw things away from us and have my partner do some fancy dancing moves which gets their attention and say "leave" and then continue and woah i use when we slow down and stop.

Does this sound alright? It's the advice i got a while ago?

I wont be changing the names of the commands!

It doesn't actually matter what commands you use as long as they are clear and understood by your (lead) dog(s).

Here in the UK we tend to use "Gee" for right, and "Haw" for left - otherwise much the same. We also use "Come Gee" or Come Haw" when we want them to wheel in a particular direction - eg if you have to turn round on the trail.

Mick

My pup is 12 weeks and I'd like to start teaching her basic commands so that I can eventually put her in a harness with a scooter (for fun.) Any advice on ow to start training these basic commands. Is it just a case of saying Gee whenever she goes right, and Haw whenever she goes left until she gets the general idea? I really haven't a clue where to start but it'd be great to start at this age whilst she's learning so much, so fast.

Thanks for the replies,

Oh good i wanted to make sure i wasnt going about it wrong :)

Deb. - the way i am training mine (which i have done since they where young) is have them walking at the heel command position and when you go left give the command and a treat or lots of phrase :) eventually have them in front on a walking harness and say the commands, which for me works great so they get the idea of being in front, i wont do this without a harness though because their not allowed to pull in a harness!!

i think the best way to start learning how best to do it is get out and about at the race meets and talk to experienced mushers. they have a wealth of information and always pleased to talk about mushing, huskys and any related subject!

someone suggested to me to tie empty plastic milk bottles to their harness and let them get used to dragging it round the garden. as they get older make it slightly heavier by adding something like pasta to the bottles etc. i cant comment as to whether that is a good suggestion, but i would say it is a good feasible idea.

Debs..there a local event at the end of oct in the forest of dean. have a look at wyedean mushing website. spectators are welcome on the basis that i get Loki hugs!!

Yeah exactly! :)

We've been to husky race meets and where going to try the bottle thing this weekend, Especially for Zarly as she can be a little bit *ooo* over some things! Just all about building her confidence up!

I've made it pretty clear to myself and my partner agree's we wont be racing until they are 18months!! I really do want to make sure they are fully grown! I wont risk it! I love them too much hehe