Need some help on getting started with Scootering

I have 2 Huskies who I would like to get started on scootering with. The only problem is, I know little about what I need in order to get started.

What would be the best way for a beginner to go about getting started? What all will I need in order to get started?

This is what I know I need:

Scooter (obviously)

2 harnesses (1 for each dog)

What I think I need or might need but dont know the proper things for:

Something to attach the 2 harnesses together so the dogs go in the same direction.

Foot protection for their paws so they dont get ripped up.

So my last question would be, where do I get all of these things? Is there a preferred 1 stop shop for everything? Or at least the accessories if I find a scooter I prefer that does not offer the other equipment?

First thing - get them learning the commands - lifesaver lol

Gee / Haw are the main ones used for left and right but you can use anything you like - eg I don't say Haw I say HA

On by - means carry on no don't chase that rabbit

hike on - means go on RUNNNNN

Scooter wise - you need one with GOOD breaks - always a must lol good ground clearance as well - i use a pawtrekker there is also a make called a dax scooter but i've never tried this so can't comment on what it's like. The pawtrekker has a good foot plate - long and wide so good for stability :)

Other equipment you'll need are gang lines, neck lines and ideally a semi slip collar on as well as the harnesses. The gang lines clip to the back of the harness, the neck lines go from each semi slip collar from one dog to the other so that they can't go their own seperate ways lol

How old are your 2? You don't want to run them too young or you run the risk of damaging their joints and ligaments, if under 1 yr start off by incorperating the commands for left / right into your daily walk.....then start a bit of jogging - don't take them on a 10 mile run straight off - they will keep going but you will do them a lot of damage, build them up slowly and gradually :)

Hope that helps :) Welcome to the pack :D

My boy is about 18 months old and my girl is just over 2 years. I actually started my girl on the commands for the past year when taking her on walks. She knows left and right, but shes timid about pulling right now. Ever since I got the boy I have walked them together so they stay side by side. (I bought one of the leash extenders that splits out a couple feet.) So they have been working together on staying side by side, so I feel comfortable enough to allow them to try to pull together without workign against each other.

My boy has been learning commands (Even basic sit/stay/etc.) from watching my girl follow our commands. He was a rescue who I havent had for too long, but he is very well mannered and is picking up on his training quite well because he watches her.

Do you have a source where I could find all of these online at the same time? As well, I cannot find a place that sells dog shoes/socks to protect their feet. I have found various sites for nearly everything else, but I am looking for something that is preferred by people who actually participate in it now.

i scooter near my house depending on where you live there might be trails near you?

yeah you can use one dog x

Hi Sarah

Thanks Lois and I will look into this now George is 14 months we can start training him.

We have loads of tracks in the Forest at Ludlow about 15 miles in total I think all nicely maintained.

Stuart

I just got all the harnesses and rigging in today and had to take them out on my bike to see if they would actually pull..... They were a bit hesitant, but they pulled me around the neighborhood for a bit before I had them stop. Mostly becuase it was ahot and also because I wanted to thank them/encourage them. I think they will do pretty well so I will be buying an actual scooter somtime soon. I bought the x-back harnesses and gangline kit from a place called affordabledogsleds.com... They fit very nicely on the dogs except Kotas massive head gets in the way a bit. Is there a different type of harness that can be used? Kota has a massive head thats not even close to perportinate to his body where as Luna has very sleek and "feminine" head. His looks like a big bull.