Scootering and Age

Hi All,

just a quick question what would be the age you can get your doggie to start pulling you along and training in general for scooter races i've been wanting to do this but have been told around 1 yr old is the age before this should start being done.

Any ideas?

what's the general thoughts on this?

Indeed i can't imagine better excercise lol!!

i'm like walking / running her on grass only for 4-5 km's a day but i've done my hammy so it be easier just to scooot along looool!!!

I have been thinking the same think myself lately and would love to know aswell. I just didn't know who to ask. I reckon it would be something my Meika would love to do.

I believe, if you are hooking them up by themselves, they need to be at least 8-10 months so not to do any damage and only then minimal weight. If you want to train them, a small training cart is great, teaching them directional commands on walks is also a good start. If you have a local musher's club or sled team around, you can hook them up with a team even younger to start to show them the ropes and learn by example.

Starting with drafting carts like these:

http://www.romanreign.com/draftvehicles.htm

Ideally you want to wait until they are a year old however there's nothing stopping you from getting things prepared :0 Start by teaching the commands on walks - don't just jump on a scooter and expect him / her to know gee / haw etc they need to learn lol

Think of your pup as an athlete - they have to warm up take things one step at a time, they can't just get up and run a marathon straight away - dogs are the same. Whilst they give the appearance that they've run a mile and could easily go on and do another 2 or 3, it's your responsibility as their owner to make sure you don't push them too soon. Start off when they get to around 6 months doing small jogging session with them, build them up gradually, trust me - doing it this way - you get much better results and a very good runner :)

Hey all yeh well looks like it will haveto waita few more months i've been jogging with her almost everyday but i'm outta action for around 4 weeks so looks like its back to walking only LOL.

i'm pritty fit and already it a case of i get tired before she does she going to be a great runner looool

xharness will need to try find a supplier in australia and a scooter of course feel free to recommend somewhere LOOL

oh and you will also need the correct harness as well - for a scooter you're best of with the x back harness :)

For scootering I would wait until the dog is a year old for any pulling work...but ideally your dog should be 18 months for any hard pulling.

You can start training your dog for pulling around 8 months by attaching an empty water bottle to the back of it's pulling harness.

This will get the dog used to having an object behind it, feeling of the pull and noise.

You can train your dog the mushing commands while out walking for excample saying haw when you trun left etc...

Must people start a dogs training with canicross and use the commands will running/turning.

This is how we are training our 7 month old at the minute

Scootering is so much fun and when your dog knows it's commands it helps alot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all yeh well looks like it will haveto waita few more months i've been jogging with her almost everyday but i'm outta action for around 4 weeks so looks like its back to walking only LOL.

i'm pritty fit and already it a case of i get tired before she does she going to be a great runner looool

xharness will need to try find a supplier in australia and a scooter of course feel free to recommend somewhere LOOL

Windchill supplies all the equipment you will need in Australia.........they are based in Victoria and are very helpful.

Here in the UK, none of the racing organisations allow a dog to compete under the age of 12 months. Most people tend to start training their dogs in harness at around 9 months. We are lucky in that we have a couple of older dogs who like to run nice and steadily and they are ideal for starting off the youngsters. We always take the baby puppies training with us so they can see what goes on and get infected by the excitement of the older dogs. Then when it is time to hook them up, they know what is expected of them.

Mick