Jumping on doors

so Zara has this annoying habit of jumping on the back door whenever someone goes near it. and specially at food time.

now the door is glass and i am afraid that if she keeps it up she will break it. and now she has Phoenix doing it as well. not to mention when they play they sometimes crash into it.

any ideas on how i can stop them both... i was thinking of somehow making a barrier between the door and them, but it isn't really possible.

i tell them to sit and don't open the door till they do but sometimes they are just so excited that they don't listen.

is this just a case of practice?

I would say carry on with making them sit before opening the door. If you let them get away with it once they know they can get away with it all the time.

Consistency is the key,you must always enforce this rule & never just let them get away with it. It would prob be best to spend a good half hr or so a day on this, get someone to come to the door & do not open it until they back away form the door, sit & stop jumping up. It may need a lot of patience but long term it should work. Make sure you reward them when they sit and wait. Also make sure this is applied when feeding and at any other time they jump up.

This is what I would try based on what i know,there may be others methods i dont know about:D

Good luck xx

Maybe put up a pull down, roller blind.

Our GSD Echo used to bark at everyone going past the house.

When we put blinds across the window it stopped.

Blinds, curtains. . .you get the idea biggrin.gif