basic fitness test

ok can see by your pita patter he's 1yr 3 months, how much does he weigh?

Start off by incorporating some jogging into your walks - he should cope with this just fine :)

Keep an eye on his breathing but stop before you notice any change, if you want to run him on a bike, start off with maybe a 5 - 10 min run for a few weeks then gradually increase it - huskies are like athletes - they can't run a marathon without any sort of training without suffering in either the short or long term.

I would also consider the paw shape too. Meaning that how long and hard you run can scrape the pads of the paws and make them sore. when we took Pongo biking the first time we only went for about 5 minutes and increased it each time so his paws didn't get hurt. If you're running in grass you should be ok. you don't want a bleeding pup! unsure.gif I agree with Sarah about the stamina though, if you know your dog you should be able to tell when it's too much.

If you're worried about his paws, get a pair of booties smile.gif

Thanks for the replies guys/gals.. We've started off with a 1.5 mile trail around the neighborhood, where we run for a couple of minutes, then trot along for about twice as long as the run, then another short run, follow this pattern for the whole trail... I also got a jar of the "mushers secret" for his pads. It's made for the ice but it is said to help with hot pavement, somewhat protecting from cuts/punctures... not so sure i believe the last part. I figure this should be reasonable to start him off and work up from there. btw, I got the 1-running dog tow leash, i like the idea of this one better than the walky dog because it allows him to slow his pace if he wants to... so i can look and see if he's still right next to me... if not slow it down

ok, since no one seems to know... how about this, what are the signs that i've had him run too far or too hard and what type of training schedule would someone recommend for building up to say a 10 mile ride?

Ross

Signs of going to hard - stooping head, stumbling loss of focus-eg sniffing more and not concentrating on running

training schedule - 3 times a week jogging with you - longer walks, say mond/wed/friday then normal walks sat / sund - following week 2 days say tues and thurs 5 min run on a bike / scooter - continue for a month to 6 weeks then increase the walks and the running by 1 min extra a week - doesn't sound like much but look at how far they can travel in one min :)

This is what I personally would do hope it helps :)

thanx Sarah. he's 44.6 lbs. That's more of what I was looking for, about how many times a week type of thing, and signs to look for. When we go out, I pretty much let him dictate pace, if he wants running, i'll make the bike faster, if he slows up I'll slow it down so that he is beside me. I just don't know anything about dog physiology and if he was recovering from one workout, how dangerous it was to go out for another one... and since he loves the bike tow thing, he hasn't had the mind to say no whenever he see's his harness. That's why I needed the knowledge so I don't say yes when I should say no...

thanx again,

Ross

you're welcome :) See how he goes after his first week of training - if he's ok with his body being touched one idea would be to massage the muscles on his legs a bit - also i'd make sure after running you take a slow walk just to wind him down after so he's not as hyped up :)

One thing to watch out for whilst running - he may suddenly stop to poop - this is normal for working sibes just keep an eye out if he suddenly stops :)

he hasn't stopped during a run... but I have noticed he's more "regular" since we've started running. Instead of whenever, now he goes when he gets up in the am, and nearly right after our run, before dinner. I may be wrong, but I should feed him after a run not before right? it just seems to make more sense to feed after, 1)so he isn't carrying around the extra food weight in his stomach 2) isn't eating then exercising when bloat happens? not to mention i know how much exercise I want to do right after eating.... a hint : none.