Anelka Row

OOOOH ER AND WE THOUGHT ENGLAND HAD PROBLEMS!!!!! ohmy.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8750302.stm

France's players refused to train on Sunday following Nicolas Anelka's expulsion from the squad for verbally abusing coach Raymond Domenech.

Domenech read out a statement from his squad which said: "The French Football Federation did not at any time try to protect the group.

"To show our opposition to the decision taken [on Anelka], all the players decided not to take part in training."

The French Football Federation's managing director subsequently quit.

Moments before a public training session was about to begin, Domenech had to separate captain Patrice Evra and fitness coach Robert Duverne.

The players then left the pitch and walked towards the bus where they had a meeting with Domenech behind closed curtains.

_48123460_anelka466body_gi.jpg Domenech (right) chose Anelka to start France's first two games "I am disgusted, I am quitting my post," FFF managing director Jean-Louis Valentin said immediately after the incident between Evra and Duverne, before driving off in his car.

"It's a scandal for the French, for the federation and the French team.

"They don't want to train. It's unacceptable. As for me, it's over. I'm leaving the federation. I'm sickened and disgusted."

Duverne is understood to have stormed away from an argument with Manchester United left-back Evra, throwing his accreditation badge to the ground.

Earlier on Sunday, coach Domenech had played down his row with Anelka and insisted the striker could have stayed with the squad had he apologised.

Anelka was sent home after insulting Domenech during the defeat by Mexico which has left France unlikely to qualify for the last 16.

"I had another chat with him and left open the possibility for him to apologise," said the 57-year-old. "[That was] something which he did not want to do."

Read the France squad's statement on their decision to boycott training

But Domenech insisted the incident could have been dealt with without such damaging repercussions, had a leak to the media not escalated the problem.

"People cannot imagine the pressure," said Domenech, who took France to the final of the last World Cup in 2006.

"We are in a dressing room, the coach says something to a player who is already under pressure, he can react angrily, and with strong words.

"He did not react in the most suitable fashion. But it was just a guy sitting in his corner and muttering - that would not have mattered had it stayed there.

"What was important was that it made the front page of a newspaper, and that exposes the internal life of the squad."

He continued: "I sorted out the problem internally, and as far as I was concerned it was done and dusted.

"[but] the decision to exclude him was the right one. I am sorry for the children for whom the French team represents something. Anelka does not have the right to say such things."

Anelka's Chelsea team-mate John Terry, who is playing for England in South Africa, said he disagreed with the decision of the French Football Federation to send the former Arsenal and Real Madrid player home.

"As a person, you won't find a better man in football," he said.

"He's someone who's very quiet, obviously he's been in the game a long time, and he knows his football. If Nico had something to say to me, I'd stand up and listen.

"It's obviously the wrong decision. He's a great player as well."

Domenech has now led France for a record number of matches but his six-year stint as coach has been consistently controversial and he will be replaced by Bordeaux boss Laurent Blanc once their World Cup is over.

That will happen on Tuesday, unless they convincingly beat hosts South Africa in their final Group A encounter, and Uruguay and Mexico do not draw the other match.

HAHA this is so funny, a player kicking off because he was substituted :lol:

did you see the video of evra having a Row with one of the coaches aswell???? the Coach goes nuts and walks off and then throws a water bottle at the fence :rofl:

this is nuts.............

Well I'm torn between finding it all hilarious, and being totally frustrated that they don't give a damn about being there, and are behaving like spoilt brats, when they cheated us out of our place:angry:

Couldn't agree more! The one thing you can always guarantee from an Irish team is passion and commitment - something that some of our stars appear to have forgotten when it comes to playing for their country.

Let's hope that Capello finally realises that 4:4:2 just doesn't work in the big internationals and starts to play his best players in their best positions. The last match was almost beyond belief. Aaron Lennon, one of the world's best right wingers, spent most of the time in the middle while a plank of wood ( Heskey) lumbered very slowly up and down the right touchline pointlessly. Then Capello takes off Lennon and replaces him with Shaun Wrong Phillips who wouldn't get into most Sunday League teams. The fact that Carragher was in the squad at all, let alone playing, was a sure sign of Capello's lack of judgement. Then, faced with a team that was going nowhere, he totally ignored the fact that on the bench he had a real creative player in Joe Cole and one of the best passers of the ball in UK football - Michael Carrick. The only player who came out of the game with any credit was Jermain Defoe, who at least looked like he was trying.

Mick