Training Your Dogs To Pull

Training Dogs to Pull

There are many aspects to training dogs to pull. Probably the most fundamental is *start young*. Get a puppy used to its harness, just as you would a collar and leash. But, don't start your pup on pulling things until they are at least 8 months old, and the only very light objects. As your pup gets older you can gradually increase the load. Start out with a small empty milk carton and let the dog drag the empty milk carton around behind its harness for a while. The emphasis is NOT on weight, just on having fun dragging a VERY LIGHT weight behind it. It is important to realize that one can injure a puppy's bones, structure, and spirit by doing too much to soon!

Karen and Vincent training in harness at the Pet Expo Demo with an empty milk carton

2h69cvq.jpg

To train adult dogs, or continue the puppy training as an adult, is relatively simple. Some dogs are natural pullers, others are not. Some dogs take right to the harness the first time, and other dogs, even ones from reputable breeders, may take extensive training. You just never know. It is vital to get the dog to lean out and keep the line between it and you taut. Some dogs have a real problem with this, others do not.

For problem dogs, the cause usually is due to the dog not liking you to be behind it or doesn't understand what you want it to do. If you do have trouble, there are a variety of methods you can use, such as a lure, with someone cycling in front or someone running with the dog on lead while attached to the bike or scooter. As long as you make training a fun game, and you make the dog understand what you want it to do, training will progress quickly, even for stubborn dogs. Huskies, LIKE to pull, so their stubbornness is not a problem here. Sometimes getting them to STOP pulling is!

Some mushers feel that it is best to train dogs to pull lots of weight, then speed comes naturally in a race without the weight. Others feel that speed and endurance training is best. Still others feel that a combination works best, similar to the combination training for the musher. Training for speed and endurance by mushing shorter distances at top speed and up hills is beneficial. Loping along at 3 or 4 miles an hour for 15 or 20 miles is also beneficial. Both of these build strength and endurance. Pulling heavy weight for short distances is also quite good, particularly for wheel dogs (the ones hitched closest to the sled).

Whichever method you use, remember to take it easy with your dogs and not push them to hard, and never, NEVER, lose your temper with your dogs. Bikejoring and scootering are fun for both you and the dogs, so enjoy the time you spend together.

Woohoo, thats me and my boy:D Although I'm not impressed Rita, I had managed not to put my pic up on this site at all until now:P

That's a great photo of you and wee Vincent in training....Vincent looks to be enjoying himself:D

That photo makes the Pet Expo seem like ages ago now!