Pet communication: understanding body language and vocalizations

• 3 weeks later...

Without sounding too flippant   -   I usually argue with my two 'herberts' (daily in fact).    However they communicate their wants very clearly - and usually remind me about feeding time usually about an hour ahead of schedule  (Mikey is  the main one worried about his stomach).   God help me if I am a minute late!  I can tell the difference between them wanting a lamb's rib  or a piece of cheese,  a lamb's rib or dinner, a lamb's rib or wanting another walk  etc. (a lamb's rib makes up the majority of their requirements as you can tell).

Neither of my boys shows typical dog body language so positioning of the tail or ears is not a clue for me   (one boy was taken from his mum and siblings at 5 weeks (I am his 4th owner) and Mikey, the other, is an abuse case.    Mikey never learned how to play - with people or other dogs  (he was 3y.o. when I got him,  now 7.5 y.o.),  whilst Marley is extremely playful and mischievous - even approaching his 8th birthday.    Mikey tends towards aggression - whilst Marley is extremely tolerant (but not submissive  -  he is just non-reactive).

Toys are banned in the house and garden because Mikey is too possessive  -  no matter what and how much of anything Mikey has - he always fights Marley for the one thing Marley has  - and Mikey is much bigger and stronger than Marley.   Hence the ban.      Mikey is a very robust, powerful and healthy dog, Marley quite the opposite  - he has numerous food allergies, easily tears muscles, very prone to illness due to faulty genes,  (bad breeding).    He has been sick with one thing or another since he was around 6 months old and is, frankly, lucky to be alive.    However he is the best dog I have ever had for temperament, and the sheer amount of love he is capable of demonstrating.   

I have had dogs since I was 7 years old,  (now in my 7th decade)  and neither dog is 'typical'.   The usual rules and cues just do not apply.

• 6 months later...

With my lovely bird, I've learned that subtle cues like fluffed feathers or different chirping tones convey various emotions or needs. It's fascinating to observe and interpret these signals, forming a deeper bond in the process.
As for communicating with pets, it's all about patience, observation, and mutual respect. By paying attention to their behaviors and responding accordingly, we can build trust and understanding. It's a two-way street where we learn to speak their language while also teaching them ours.
Also, I've recently ventured into hamster care after welcoming one into my home. If you're curious, I've found some helpful articles on hamster accessories that might interest you: https://hamsternow.com/hamster-accessories