Husky anger trigger

I have a male husky/chow mix Rocky, approx 7 years old and be came blind due to glaucoma 2 years ago. 99% of the time he is sweet and loving but twice recently he has gotten into fierce fights with my 10 yr old lab/hound mix Murphy. The first time Murphy had a toenail get stuck in a sofa cover and when I attempted to free him, the husky stuck his nose in the middle of it and BOOM...worst fight they've ever had. No major injuries but i got nicked up trying to separate them.

Then today, after being out of town for the weekend (their usual dogsiters visited 3x a day, no issues) but as soon as I walked in the front door they started fighting again, I assume over who greeted me first. Lasted about 15 seconds, i separated them and all was calmed down after a few minutes.

All of my pups are rescues and I've been through so much with Rocky's vision issues, etc. and I just hate the thought of giving up on him and having him re-homed with a local husky rescue group. I also can't have one dog aggressively attacking and possibly killing another pet help. 

I don't know what's next, if these were anomalies. Any insights are greatly appreciated.

I had the reverse situation years ago  -  three rescues and the oldest dog  14/15 years old went blind - very suddenly - it only took two weeks.    It was a collie/spaniel cross,  I had the father and son  - they were about the same size as my huskies.   I also had a Borzoi  - very big  7ft 2" from nose to tail.    The father and son got on ok,  but my Borzoi would go for him if my blind boy ever went close to him.  They had lived with each other harmoniously for around 4 years.  The blind boy actually provoked this by changing his behaviour  - he did not cope with the sudden loss of vision at all, becoming panicky, jumpy,  'scuttling' around rather than walking etc.      I had to separate the Borzoi from the other two  for the time Kia had left with us  (about 4 months as it turned out).

I sounds as if on occasions your blind boy is really not coping and trying to compensate.    I really wish I could suggest something - but you really only have two choices as far as I can see.   Find a way for them to be together but separated  whenever you are not in the room   (thinking large dog gates in doorways etc)  or rehome one  - preferably with someone the dog knows.       How easy will it be to rehome a blind dog where you live???    I once rehomed a blind cat  - that had been in shelter for five years!

Thanks...it's only been 2x in the past several weeks and none (albeit minor) for over 2 years. It seems to happen when they're competing for something. Otherwise...they both even slept in the bed with me, went out back to do their thing with no issues. I just don't want to let it get past of no return. 😕