Limping Husky

Spinningman

My Siberian Husky has acquired a limp. His energy level dropped a few weeks ago and he's been to the vets a couple of times and had bloods tests, one for anemia but a couple of days ago I noticed he was limping and it's got so bad that now he can hardly walk. The vet has prescribed anti-inflammatory tablets so maybe they will help. He's only 6. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and had a diagnosis? Could it be arthritis? He doesn't seem to be in any pain thankfully. 

Well, I've never been through anything exactly like that, but our dog has arthritis and it started so gradually...with things like, he was stiff and would limp a few steps when he first got up from a nap. It didn't come on suddenly. With arthritis, I don't think it could progress so quickly (go from a limp, to being "so bad that he can hardly walk.") If he was fine and active and running around before these last few weeks, I doubt that it's arthritis.

You say "his energy level dropped"...sometimes when dogs are in pain, they react by sleeping a lot more than usual...

When our dog had a sudden bad limp (from running too hard with my husband), our vet prescribed very short leashed walks, an NSAID(carprofen), and a painkiller (gabapentin). It cleared up in about a week. Based on how he was walking, we went from supershort walks (in our yard) to longer walks (up and down our street) to longer walks (around block) then back to his usual mileage.

Hopefully his blood tests came back normal? 
If it's a certain leg that he is favoring...does your vet think that leg should be x-rayed? 

Hope he feels better soon! 

Archived