Dietary Problems?

Lunadebbie

First time Husky owner. Luna was rehomed to us due to her potential size and owner’s allergies at 3 months. She is 9 months now. Within the last two months or so, she has started vomiting and having diarrhea at night. We took her to the vet several times and she was put on Hills Science sensitive stomach prescription food and was doing well. We weaned her off and put her on Hills Science puppy. She was okay for a week or two then it started again. Back to the vet and she was put back on the sensitive stomach food again. After a few days, we started her on Hills Science over the counter sensitive stomach food. She was okay, for another week or two and now the vomiting and diarrhea has started again. A long time Husky owner told me the only thing she can feed her two Huskies without them getting sick is grain free food. Talked to my Vet and she said absolutely not due to the findings regarding heart disease. She had an episode last night but she seems fine other than not wanting to eat. Any suggestions?

image.jpg

I would get her tested for food allergies.   My boy was allergic to 9 different foods  -  these showed up after blood tests.   He ended up with stomach ulcers and vomitting blood.    About 18 months later he is allergic to 3 foods  -  all grains  -  soya, rice, corn  -  and borderline for wheat.

He can have no grain whatsoever - or any meat that has been fed grains in its lifetime - dogs have no need of grains.   They are the most likely cause of his problems.

I would advise switching to raw food,  start off with feeding your dog white fish  (raw) - make sure it is wild caught not farmed,  - farmed fish are fed soya  -  wild fish eat naturally.    I would feed white fish only for one week  (my vet said to feed it for one month),  then add in raw sardines and/or raw herrings  (not filleted - but whole) - make sure these whole fish have been frozen for at least one week before you feed them to your girl.  Your dog will not suffer any nutritional deficiencies in this time scale.   You should see that she stops vomitting.  You can then give her raw egg - but limit these to start with.

Vets are not taught nutrition.   Get your dog to another vet and get her blood tests for food allergies.    If you want help with what to feed her just shout.    

Archived