Roxy

Roxy2

Hi,

I have a 9 y/o Husky who is Hypothyroid and was recently diagnosed with ZRD. He is pawing at his face. Shaking his head and scratching his ears. He has hot spots and has to wear a cone to keep from licking and scratching. He was treated for the Ear infection however he continues to shake his head and scratch his ears. Can ZRD cause ear infections and itchy skin?

The short answer is I don't know  -  will do some checking for you later  -  however thought the link below might be of interest for you

https://www.snowdog.guru/zinc-deficiency-seizures-huskies/

As for the hot spots  -  if you are adverse to too many meds  (I hate them)  -  when my boy gets a hot spot  (rarely)  I use the following:

Make a strong cup of ordinary tea  - leaving the teabag in whilst it gets cold  - then use the teabag to bathe the hot spot  - keeping it on the hot spot for a few minutes  -  let it dry naturally  and repeat every couple of hours.   This can be used for the whole 24 hours - just pop it in the fridge.

Get some calendula   -  fresh flowers if you can   (a type of marigold)  and make a strong tea with them  and use the same as the black tea above  -  if not get calendula tincture  -   around 10 drops of the tincture on a very small piece of cotton wool -   leave a couple of minutes for the alcohol to dissipate  - and  use the same as the black tea.

Alternate these two each hour  for the rest of the day  -  never dry the skin afterwards let it dry naturally.  The next day the hot spot should be dry and have stopped itching.   You can use the calendula tincture directly on the hot spot by the next day.

This works best if you can catch the hot spot early.  It works every time   -  the tannin in the tea works to dry the hot spot up  (stops it weeping) and the calendula is the best skin healer I know  - will not only heal the skin but will soothe it as well.

When Marley starts I know that I can stop the irritation within 24 hours  using these two natural methods  -  the next day I repeat the two just the same   -  by this time he has usually stopped licking and chewing it  - but it just reinforces the healing.     It will then just scab over and fall off.

Archived