Lifelong husky owner Toronto, Canada

Hi everyone! My family has owned huskies and malamutes since I was born. I discovered this group because I’m now raising a female husky I adopted about 8 months ago. Prior to this, the huskies we have had were all from the same breeder who has since retired. 

Living downtown creates a bit of a tricky situation because at my parents, we can let her run around the backyard. Now, that’s totally dependant on walks, which I’ve enjoyed! Yesterday, however, I was bringing Aspen inside when I saw ticks on the top of her fur. Then my dad found one nearly between her eyes; later we took her collar off to find a few big ones underneath. Now I’m pretty sure where she got them and we’ll have to avoid the nature areas. I’m afraid because she didn’t feel well the last few days so we’ve kept the walks simple, but right now her appetite is back, she looks better and seems okay, however I’m giving her a few sick days just to make sure she rests and so we can figure out a new route for our walks. With her coat being so thick, I’m not even sure we got all the ticks; it seems impossible! I feel like I went through everything and especially under the collar, tummy, etc. Because most of our dogs have just exercised in the backyard, I’ve never dealt with ticks. What else should I know? Are they like bedbugs where everything has to be cleaned and everything?

I’m glad I found this group and look forward to talking to everyone more!

9F05ED33-0596-4111-9052-4C9ACB1B3F18.jpeg.0c04107e24fdabb64a6b1feda805999d.jpeg   To.  201C75D1-26E8-474E-9F0D-D52AFF8223F0.png.adfb7991b1d94e201f56278d8a7d91fb.png

ticks where I live (the Netherlands) reside in high grass and love it when that is damp so with us the start on their face when the smell the grass ... when I see them crawling I take them of and squash them ... otherwise when attached  I remove them with a pincher and rotate anti clockwise and remove them... I do use Advantix once a month and it helps with mine...I have never seen them crawling around the house...

Archived