First Husky Small for 8 Wks - Advice Appreciated

Hummingbird

Hi! I just brought home my first husky puppy. Ziva is 8 weeks old, and adorable. Right now she spends a lot of time sleeping, but when she is awake she is a little whirlwind! I did loads of research in preparation for bringing her home.

She came from a litter of 9, and all the puppies survived. When I picked her up the breeder explained that she was a little smaller as a result because less room to grow in the womb and less milk to go around from momma, but she is healthy (vet papers to prove). I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this? Will she always stay a little bit smaller than average? 

Right now she’s always hungry, I’m not sure if that’s normal or not for husky puppies.... should I be increasing her portions a little to help her with growth? I had read that huskies only eat when they’re hungry and usually won’t overeat, but does that apply to puppies as well? 

I have her first vet visit next week so I’ll be able to give an accurate weight then but I would say she is under 10 lbs. 

Also, I attached pictures because she is gorgeous! ☺️

F5AAE2A4-B37A-42AA-8AC2-6F969CEC6F1A.jpeg

1A1C289A-E86A-4B97-9A2B-128B0E4582D7.jpeg

67035B51-9262-4F4B-976C-57F49A8E2BDA.jpeg

She’s gorgeous [emoji1] I fed mine 3 times a day and as they’re busy growing they need more protein than an adult dog. It doesn’t mean because she’s small now she’ll remain that way, I’ve seen the runt of the litter grow to be one of the biggest.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

As@chelseafan said, she will catch up growing.
I would feed her at least 4 cups a day if she'll eat that much. (You can split it to 3 or 4 mealtimes a day.) Then gradually increase to 5-6 cups of food as she gets older. At 6 mths, she should be eating around 5-6 cups a day. Make sure it's a "puppy" food that has lots of protein/carbs...puppies need lots of food because they grow so darn fast. It's better to feed more than be underfed. Puppies should have a nice little belly while they're still growing.
She's beautiful!! Please send more photos as she grows!!
[emoji4][emoji191][emoji252][emoji169]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

[emoji252][emoji252][emoji252] WELCOME ABOARD [emoji252] [emoji252][emoji252]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

It’s not unusual for a husky to always be hungry, don’t be fooled by it though as overeating can make them poorly. make sure you follow the feeding guidelines on the food you are giving her. You’ll probably find at this young age it recommends you feed her more now and then decrease the amount at different age/weight stages

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

She is so gorgeous! My puppy is the same way. He hears the food container and he runs to it. He eats so fast. He was super small, the runt. When we got him he was only being fed twice a day but I give him three cups a day of high protein puppy food (with puppy training snacks here and there) and it’s helping him grow very nicely!

This is my first husky pup too and it’s so crazy how fast they grow. I’ve had many other dog breeds but this one is definitely one of a kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived