How Long Should I Wait?

ShyLoh

I am going to be starting to train my 1.5 year old husky mix Shiloh and possibly my 3 year old husky mix, Keeno, to pull and do some kick-biking and bike-joring this spring/summer. I also have a 4 month old purebred siberian that I am going to train also, and will start teaching her commands when I start with my other dogs. However, because she is so young I won't be letting her pull anything, and I won't be letting her run a longer distance just yet. So this brings me to my question... how long should I wait before starting to teach her to pull lighter weight and getting her to run/jog the distance I let me other 2 dogs go?

So far right now Aura is getting a 20-30 minute walk a day, plus lots of outside playtime in the yard. I am just really wanting to do something fun with my dogs that I know will be fun for them too. I use to have a golden retriever mix that I trained to pull a bike, and she loved it. 

I am planning to start training them this summer with a kick-bike and bicycle,  and maybe next winter if they enjoy it I will purchase a small dog sled or kick sled type thing and have them pull that.

Also, here are a few pictures of little miss Aura! She is such a good girl. She has gotten over her little "tantrums" and is perfect with anyone handling her, or handling her bones while she is eating them. She loves meeting new people, and has probably met 100+ people in the past month, being a huge hit a local pet stores, family events and walks around the town. She has met quite a few other dogs too, and loves all of them. She has met small dogs, large dogs and a few cats. She is getting to like our cats at home, and if she nips at them she listens to the command "be nice" or "no bite" and mostly just likes to follow them and lick their f

_DSC0151.JPG

_DSC0265.JPG

_DSC1106.JPG

full pulling I would wait till 18 months... commands you start with now while walking... running next to you with no strain I would not do until about 12 to 14 months for not a long distance...

I would however say as well that once the outside temp reaches 13 cel. I would stop the training with a bike or kick bike overheating is not nice...

What he said ^ :D

Anything related to commands, you want to start as early as you can. Teaching to ignore things, left and right etc. Just things it means you dont have to start teaching once you can get pulling.

Archived