First night in crate

DoggoLover

Hello. Khaleesi's first night in the crate. 3 hrs in and she's crying and clawing at the cage :(

She's 6 months and since 4 months she hasn't had any over night accidents ect. She doesnt need to toilet through the night and usually doesn't do the toilet for about 2hrs after I get up.. so I know she's not crying for the toilet.

Is this normal? ... I've been getting her used to the crate the whole day. It took some time but she started to go in and out of it as she pleased, ate her meals in there not a problem etc. I made it real positive for her put treats in, gave her treats when she went in... but when it came to bed time I let her out for her last tiolet and put her in the crate she went in easy.. for about 15 mins after I went up the stairs she cried and clawed at the cage the whole time... 3 hrs in and she's clawing at the cage again and crying. I feel so bad. I went down to check on her after about 20mins of feeling guilty. She looks SO sad! :( ... I've came back up stairs she did a few cries and did a bit of clawing but now she's quiet again...

will she likely do this all night? Cry and claw every so often? Is this too much for her? Is it normal for her to act like this? ... I feel really guilty right now as she does look incredibly sad.. Am I just thinking too much about it? Should I ignore her? WHAT DO I DO?! This is my first dog and first time crating. I did read up about crating first but I think its always best to get advice from people who already have done it/currently doing it. The crate is in the Kitchen I've put it where her bed usually is, before the crate I always put her in the kitchen at night time and left her there till morning. What do you guys suggest? Stay strong and ignore the cries or give in and do something? ... What was your pups/dogs like the first time crating?

Any input/advice is greatly appreciated :)

Pic just because [emoji252][emoji240][emoji173]️

503480a761674da5e84b2b63607bdf04.png

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Always post photos...your baby is so adorable!![emoji171]
I have two Huskies. The first Husky, I kept ARMANI downstairs in his crate. It lasted maybe a week and he was 8wks old. But then he caught on and knew I was upstairs going to bed. Knowing me, I felt horrible & guilty hearing him scream & howl/cry. I didn't want him stressed out like that. So I put him with me in the bedroom (with the door CLOSED) along with a few chew bones/safe toys (hoping he wouldn't chew any of my things like my bed) LOL!! He went right to sleep. I'd get up usually once in the middle of the night because he had to potty. So I'd put his leash on him, take him outside for 15-20mins, and he would always potty. (Puppies bladders are still growing as they are still growing, etc.) As he got to about 5mths, I no longer had to take him potty in the middle of the night. Then we adopted/rescued ALINAH at 8mths old. So both stay in the bedroom with me (with the door still closed). They both have their crates in another bedroom. The only time they go in their crates (crate door locked) is if I go run errands, etc. Now, in the afternoons, they freely go upstairs and into their crates on their own to take a nap (I keep their crate doors opened bcuz I'm home).
*Crates makes them feel safe...kind of like a den. You can even cover the top of the cage with a board the size of the crate to make them feel more relaxed. (I never use their crates for punishment...they never get punished anyway because I always keep a watch on them...ok, they are spoiled too, of course LOL!!)
Since Huskies are a pack animal, I honestly believe they want/need to stick with their pack/family (you) versus being in a crate at night all alone. But that's just my opinion.
But always crate your baby if you leave the house (for your dog's own safety). They will realize they are all alone, get horribly scared, and will start tearing stuff up...like couches, tables, cords, paper, etc., ... and eat a bunch of non-edible things and could choke. (They can & do get separation anxiety from being alone in a house by themselves... that's when they start flipping out being scared and need to destroy/chew things.)
But all in all, do what you feel is best for your baby. If you don't want your dog sleeping in your bedroom, you could go back to putting him in the kitchen. You could also move the crate in the kitchen as well.
The above is just what I did/still do with my two Huskies. I hope some of this is useful. Good Luck!!
[emoji171][emoji252][emoji191][emoji847]

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

I gradually got my girl used to it during the day by closing the door leaving the room if she was quiet coming back and opening the door n slowly Increasing the time away so she realises even tho she's in there I'll be back to let her out

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

I dont have her up the stairs because its all carpet and I dont like the idea of her running around in my daughters room ect on all the beds. She's always been fine in the kitchen so crying or trying to escape but she does destroy things over night or when I go out so that's why I got the crate.
@BingBlaze I did do that during the day too, I think it will just take some time getting used to

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived