Mouthing Strangers

Hi Guys

Have posted on here before but my 6 month old Husky is getting big now and far too mouthy when over excited. he has just cut a strangers arm getting over excited and mouthing them.

I am at a loss, he stops with me as i am clear and say NO. I say no with a strangers and if he lets them they carry on. I agree that people should be more educated bu this is something I need to take back control on and stop immediately.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

The problem is if others are letting him do it then he's thinking it's ok to do it so the behaviour continues.
You could try to keep him on a lead when people come round to control what he's up to or removing from the room until he calms down to return. It might be like an ever revolving door at first but he should work out soon enough that biting others results in him being removed from the fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I had a similar problem with Luka, and that is exactly what I did, the lead went on and he sat by me, it took 5-6 months of continuously removing him from the room or the lead, he didn't like being on his own, and he'd come in and get excited and so the process was repeated, I no longer have this problem, consistency is the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Tbh all of the above. At home, on walks, with my friends or people at the school. 

I just know he's trying to play but he gets too rough with people if they allow it. So I need to stop it.

Tbh all of the above. At home, on walks, with my friends or people at the school. 

I just know he's trying to play but he gets too rough with people if they allow it. So I need to stop it.

Yep you need to have full control at all times, if he tries jumping up take him around in a circle and make him sit. You do need to make it clear to the other person not to pet him if he jumps up at them, ideally they need to turn their back and walk away. He needs to learn that he only gets attention for sitting nicely and he just gets ignored if he jumps up. You could get a lead or harness saying 'training' so people don't just approach him (although this doesn't always work, and people should ask before stroking any dog!)
Dogs respond to body language more than anything, so if someone acts wary when he jumps he's more likely to do it more, so try introducing him to dog confident people while you are training him. A dog behaviourist taught me a dog can learn from just the slightest and gesture and correction sound, and being calm at all times makes all the difference.
What I used to do when I had visitors round was close the porch door then answer the door, the dogs would be behind the door barking and going crazy, then I would let the visitor in and they would jump all over them. The behaviourist told me the catalyst was the door bell going/door knocking, that was setting them off so I had to ring my doorbell/fake knock my door 10 times a day to get them used to the noise. The next thing was I was closing the door on them, and its glass so they could see through. This was making them be like wound up springs, so by the time I opened the door they were an explosion of energy! So he taught me boundary training, now I'm answering the door with the porch door open and teaching them to not cross the line between the living room and the porch, I answer the door facing sideways so I can see the visitor and keep and eye on the dogs. They can only come to greet the visitor when I say, and it's a lot less chaotic! I've got a long way to go but we will definitely get there.
Just goes to show though that taking control of the situation and being calm can definitely make a lot of difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived