Potty Training Help!

Bri&Akira

I need some ideas for my 7 month old Akira. I have had her for about 5 months now and she is moderately house trained. I crate her if im going to be gone for anything over 5hrs. For the most part she is pretty well with holding it for about 4hrs if I am home. In these instances I usually leave her in the living room with some toys and come home accident free. 

On the otherhand, I will occasionally leave her in the bedroom if I'll be gone for a few hrs as well. On multiple occasions she went from peeing on the floor to peeing/pooping on the bed! I am at a loss on what to do because i hate leaving her in the crate as I have another dog who i can leave out forever with no accidents. 

It could be that she's stressed or restless when left in the bedroom?
If she's ok in her crate or living room for a similar amount of time then I would suspect that it's the location that's bothering her maybe.
If she's happy in her crate for longer times and the living room for lesser times then that's probably where she feels safer and more relaxed.
My Bear would go wild when we left the house. After a very long time we worked out that where she slept at night (under our bed) was the only place she would settle when we left the house. Once we left the door open for her then she was a different dog and no longer went to town about us going out.
Previously we'd been keeping it shut to limit her access to places where she could rip apart things and get herself into danger.
Ice on the other hand loves a crate. That's his little kingdom in there and he rules over it like a king, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

You have a good point. She does like to sleep under the bed as well. I think ill try and work with her by leaving the door open like you guys have tried. But then again she loves going into her crate with no problem so I suppose either could work better over time  

I just feel so unfair leaving her in the crate while my other dog is out. But she is only 7months old so it may just take her longer to get to that point. 

Thanks for your input! :D

I really wouldn't feel bad about using the crate, a lot of us do it and tbh Ice prefers to be there. We have one inside and one outside too. Bear just wouldn't take to a crate at all. Not for lack of trying, it was just a massive no no. I think she may have been kept in a confined space before (we rescued her as a pup and know nothing about her start in life but she was suspected to be a puppy farm dog kicked out to make way for the next litter) she clearly hated the crate on sight and wouldn't even go near it let alone inside it. She also didn't have much experience of humans either. You stroked her and she looked at you in confusion, bless her.
It may well be that in time when she's older that she's able to free roam around the house too. But as she's happy in her crate then right now that's a big bonus. [emoji1360]

I have read that a dog will pee on the owners bed because it smells a lot of you, your smell, so he/ she is hiding their scent in your bed. By peeing in your bed and hiding the smell of his/her urine the dog is making him/her self feel less vulnerable. If she is feeling like this it's prob better to keep her in an area where she's not soiling. As she gets older you may find that she will stop doing that altogether.

Archived