Fouling in her crate!

my1sthusky

fe4e3eb35ab2b6f73abf99c306dd5423.jpg

So my house mate brought back a bigger crate the other day (the biggest in the picture) so rather than getting rid of the smaller one, me and my house mate made keera a superfort... thought it might make the crate less "scary" if she had more space.

Since doing so she has started going in her crate more during the day and just sleeping! (Great she's getting used to it and making it her space) The only thing is, she has pooped 3 maybe 4 times in her crate on the pillows and stuff she sleeps on, not in the empty bit, but where she actually sleeps!

One of my friends has said maybe its because the space she has now is too big so, ive took away the smaller crate that was attached too see if that makes a difference?!?!

If anybody has any insight on this situation it would be much appreciated :) thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

I have heard several times here that a bigger crate can lead to soiling in the crate. Too much space and they can choose areas to go to the toilet in. Not normally right where they sleep though, lol. Mine haven't had a big crate so it's not been an issue. They need enough room to be able to stand and turn comfortably. They do seem to prefer smaller spaces to seek comfort. Bear is a massive beast but she will insist on crawling under our bed every night

House training now.. after a meal.. get her out into the garden.. Maybe on a lead.. walk round until she goes. Praise big time.
In litters the little go on the 'dirty' area or.. before weaning.. mum cleans up. Once they're onto solids she stops.. so now.. yours has space to 'do her jobs'.
Clean and wash everything incl crate to remove any hint of soiling and keep rewarding her & praising when she is 'quick' or clean - pee or poo.. taking out poo into the garden may also tell her that is where it belongs! 🤗

Sent from my SM-G900F using Husky Owners mobile app

How old is the pup?? That happened with our first dog until she realized that she shouldn't poo/pee where she slept, which was around 10 months for us. But yes, too big of a crate means areas can be designated for potty for a pup who isn't fully crate trained.

Archived