Springer Pee's everywhere

Wayne

Hi everyone.

We have a 4 year old springer spaniel that keeps pee'ing everywhere and we can't seem to stop it. We also have Suka whose the same age, and both have been brought up the same and treated the same since we got them when they were around 10 weeks old.

Both dogs get on together really well and where one goes the other goes which makes the problem worse.

Suka is able to open doors, i.e my bedroom door, to then goto sleep on my bed. This is ok, but the spaniel follows and then pee's everywhere, over the blankets, pillows, where it takes root, it pee's.

When the husky needs a wee, it'll go downstairs, open the back door and do what it does. The spaniel can't open doors as she cant reach so we have to open the door for her and watch that she goes for her wee. She'll wait by the back door for someone to open it which is good. Although even booting her out the door every few hours doesn't solve the issue. We have a stair gate fitted to stop the spaniel going upstairs but somebody keeps leaving it open. I'd weld it shut if people could step over it but they can't so they go through it and dont shut it and then spaniel gets through and pees.

Today the husky went into my parents room to sleep, and the spaniel ran in and you guessed it pee'd on the bed. The spaniel then gets chucked out in the garden. Two hours later we put spaniel back outside for a wee. Within a minute of coming back in, she pee'd on the sofa.

Its got to the point where everyone except my sister (who bought the dog) has said they want the dog gone as its very annoying with its peeing as it stinks etc.

Does anybody else have a springer that does this? We have tried soo much to stop it but it doesnt seem to be able to learn. Although this will sound nasty, it seems like the spaniel isn't all there as it also chases lights, reflections and shadows. It found a shadow on a wall and kept licking it until the wall paper was so soggy it peeled off. It also rips up carpet trying to capture a beam of light. Not to mention my new vinyl, non-absorbent pee safe flooring which she has now ripped up trying to catch the red light from the optical mouse.

Suka is all good, she now walks without a lead! and other than thieiving apples when she thinks nobody is watching, she's great. But the spaniel, well theres nothing good about it. I'd swap the spaniel for another husky anyday.

Somebody help please!?!?

Thanks.

Sounds like there may be a physical problem, though I'm not a vet. We had a spaniel when I was a kid, and she did the same thing. Ended up she had a bladder infection. Have you had your spaniel checked? That's where I'd start. It may be something as simple as a bladder infection, or could be something more serious like incontenance. Then again, it may be something other than physical, and require an animal behaviorist to correct.

Where a springer is concerned, it could just be nature of the breed. They are a high-energy, hyper breed who need a lot of exercise and stimulation or inclined to rebellious behaviour and developing obsessions and habits (like the examples you have just given). By nature, they are 'loose cannons' and one of those breeds that need to be doing something to challange them physically and mentally and burn off all that energy. They do fall in that group of breeds who don't make good 'house pets'. Consider maybe getting involved in activities like agility, retrieving (they are gundogs), good swims, anything that will burn off energy as you'll never tire one out throwing a ball in a park. We have a friend (Rose knows who I mean) with a springer who runs with Sibes in harness, and runs in races too (VERY well!). The reason he was originally tried in harness was the very reason I just gave: His owner just could not tire him out! So maybe even a harness and a scooter or bike?