fences. Fences? FENCES! (Help!)

Cathy

To make a long story long:

I've been saving up, and the time has come to fence our back yard for the boys to enjoy. One reason for this is that they love being outside, and we have a big enough yard that they could really run and play. Main reason is that Tim is severely allergic to Dakota. Obviously, he's allergic to dogs in general, but Dakota just makes gobs of dander, moreso than Nik, that it has gotten very, very, bad, in spite of our fleet of top-quality HEPA filters, HEPA vacuum, anti-allergen home cleaning products, and daily Allerpet-D and moisturizing wipes, salmon oil and other supplements for Dakota (still waiting to see the effect of the latest supplement). I took Dakota in to the vet, and they could not think of a single thing that we are not already doing -- other than having the dogs spend most of their time outside. Tim and I are united in that rehoming is NOT an option, Dakota is family. (My old boy Nik gets to stay inside for the rest of his days -- when I say "dogs" plural, its because I anticipate taking in another adoptee at some point so Dakota's not alone!)

This transition will be tougher on me than Dakota -- he loves being outside, but I love having my boy under my feet all day while I work. The good news is that this is not a case of throw the dog in the backyard and forget about him -- we'll still be getting in our thrice daily walks for miles of together time (not to mention we'll have a backyard to play in, too!). I am fortunate in that I have saved plenty to do this right in terms of proper fencing and shelter, so I'm looking for advice on how to do this right in order to keep the pack happy for years to come. Fence will come right up to the house and allow the dogs the ability to come in to the back room for the evening.

My initial thoughs are a 6' chainlink with some sort of invisible pet fencing (e-mailed Pet Stop for an estimate) inside the chainlink to keep the boys from approaching the chainlink in order to dig under or climb over. Wood fencing is not a option, because once every few years, the creek out back floods the whole yard, and I'm afraid it would knock down a wood fence.

Any ideas? What works for you?

We have an acre fenced in the back. We have a 5 foot cedar fence, our last Husky used to jump that with ease. And chain link is so easy for a Husky to climb, so your idea of putting a buried fence line inside the perimeter is a very good idea. That's what we did when we got Zoya. We went with DogWatch Invisible Fence (http://www.dogwatch.com/). It was not cheap to have installed ($1300), but with a Husky, a lot of the systems simply will not work. They may stop some dogs, but a Huskly will simply go right through as if the buried fence was not even there. DogWatch works great with Zoya. It's the only system that I found, that uses the FM instead of the AM frequency. So it's less likely to be affected by interference. The gage of the wire used was thicker than some of the other systems. You can pick up a system in retail for $300 or less, and install it yourself. But to be honest with you, they are marginal. The fence coupled with the buried fence line inside should do the trick. The only weak point will be how they have to run the line. In our case, they had to run the line around to the front of the house to make the connection in the garage, but they kept the line pretty close to the fence/house contact point.

Dave, thanks. I went and looked at Zoya's photo gallery, and that's a good looking wood fence you have there. You've had no problems with the invisible fence inner perimeter (I see the flags showing the fenceline)? Wonder if I could get away with a wood fence with wide-spaced gaps like that to let the water flow through during the occasional floods ... I'd rather have wood than chain link (I'm sure the neighbors would prefer that, too ...) if I can. The good news is that the elec/hidden fence will be in place before Dakota gets a chance to test whatever physical fence we come up with. I'm hoping that will help ...

Thanks again -- your response is really encouraging, this problem has me completely gutted.

Edited to add: Already have one company calling me in response to my e-mail inquiry. Have to giggle at their web reply:

"Thanks for your interest in [our fences]. It looks like you have done your research. We have been in the business 15 years and have learned the physical fence/[our fence] combo is about the only way to contain a husky."

If the flooding is with a current, almost any fence you put in is going to suffer some damage. Cedar would be the best wood to go with if you decide on a wood fence. Chain link would probably suffer less damage than wood, from flooding. As far as relying on a buried fence alone with a Husky, I would not do it. A Huskies tolerance for any sort of "correction" is more than most any other breed, due to their prey drive. The only thing the buried fence does is slow them down enough, so they can't jump over. But with no fence to jump over, that's all they will do, is slow down, then once they are passed the buried fence, they are off again. The combination of the two is what works. One alone will not be nearly as affective.

When i had a fence living on base i was advised to use chicken fence 4-5 feet under the fence line then layer the bottom with concrete or brick. I didnt act fasst enough and Lana escaped twice. When i followed their recommendations Lana dung for a while then stopped. She never escaped but didnt stop her from digging. She always dug around the bottom to the fence to look for a weak spot.

I used brick because we couldnt pour concrete due to the fact we were living on base.

We have a 6ft chain link fence here and I love it!!! When I am gone the dogs either stay in the kennel or on chains. The kennel is 100% husky-proof and inescapable (after some modifications due to Ronan showing us its weak points LOL). We do have a hot wire running along the top and the bottom of the fence but haven't had to turn it on in a couple years. Honestly the hot wire is far more effective than the underground fencing. If you position it properly than they can't get by without touching it.

If you live in a residential area you might want to check with your homeowner's insurance before putting a hot wire on a fence. But then that opens a whole new issue if they ask "why?", and you tell them to keep your Siberian Husky in the yard. And then they look on their list of dogs that they won't insure and a Husky happens to be on the list. Depending on where you live, an energized fence may also be restricted by code or ordinance. Also, you may be required by law to display warning signs. And then if someone, like a child who is too young to read, gets zapped by the wire, well, there goes your life savings. I would not install a hot wire. Too many liability risks, and they actually are very painful.

If you live in a residential area you might want to check with your homeowner's insurance before putting a hot wire on a fence. But then that opens a whole new issue if they ask "why?", and you tell them to keep your Siberian Husky in the yard. And then they look on their list of dogs that they won't insure and a Husky happens to be on the list. Depending on where you live, an energized fence may also be restricted by code or ordinance. Also, you may be required by law to display warning signs. And then if someone, like a child who is too young to read, gets zapped by the wire, well, there goes your life savings. I would not install a hot wire. Too many liability risks, and they actually are very painful.

Depending on what type you get ;) Livestock-grade electric fencing is a bit painful yes, but they do have pet-grade which is a lot milder. It's enough to give you a jolt but not so much that you need a second to regain your bearings. Its really no worse than getting a static shock during the winter when you touch a piece of metal after walking across some carpeting.

Oh ya, and all these silly rules and such regarding what you do with your own property if you live in an urban area is the exact reason I refuse to stay in-town. I'm spoiled in that my small town is very easy going and very rural but first chance I get I'm moving out to the country! Not just the rules but I couldn't imagine how stuck-up someone would have to be to even bother suing another person due to their child getting zapped by an electric fence. I mean, I've been zapped many times over the years and I'm alright, there is absolutely no need to take something as petty as that to court!

Sorry, I'll step off my soapbox now....

Depending on what type you get wink.gif Livestock-grade electric fencing is a bit painful yes, but they do have pet-grade which is a lot milder. It's enough to give you a jolt but not so much that you need a second to regain your bearings. Its really no worse than getting a static shock during the winter when you touch a piece of metal after walking across some carpeting.

Oh ya, and all these silly rules and such regarding what you do with your own property if you live in an urban area is the exact reason I refuse to stay in-town. I'm spoiled in that my small town is very easy going and very rural but first chance I get I'm moving out to the country! Not just the rules but I couldn't imagine how stuck-up someone would have to be to even bother suing another person due to their child getting zapped by an electric fence. I mean, I've been zapped many times over the years and I'm alright, there is absolutely no need to take something as petty as that to court!

Sorry, I'll step off my soapbox now....

No need to be sorry, soapboxes are a good thing. I was playing the role of the devil's advocate on my last post. Don't kow how the culture is in other parts of the world, but here in the US, especially in some areas, people are very suit-happy. I've only seen the hot wires that are used for cattle and sheep, not seen any for pets. But I frequent the farm supply stores more than the pet stores. The cattle and sheep ones are either six volt or twelve volt, but still pack a wallop. We live in the country, about five miles from two very small towns, and about 15 from a fairly large town. Sort of the best of both worlds. No way could I live in town.

You know were where about to move in a residentail area where we couldnt have any type of husky. They has them on the list as "aggressive" along with German Shepard, bull master, pitbull, rottweiller, doverman, etc. I explain to them that they were completely crazy to think that a huskies are aggressive dogs. What dog they didnt have on their list is an Akita which make me tell them that they are even more crazier not to have them on there.

Then they said that their Insurance will not carry them if they allowed huskies in the areas. I wonder is this that false impression that " the look like wolves" so they must be dangerous?! Pathetic for any insurance company not to do their research cause if they had then they would know. Any dog has the potential to be dangerous with a irresponsible owner no matter what breed they are, however there are more breeds with reputation (which is arguable ) or more prone to be aggressive/protective than others.

What are you all thoughts on that?

You know were where about to move in a residentail area where we couldnt have any type of husky. They has them on the list as "aggressive" along with German Shepard, bull master, pitbull, rottweiller, doverman, etc. I explain to them that they were completely crazy to think that a huskies are aggressive dogs. What dog they didnt have on their list is an Akita which make me tell them that they are even more crazier not to have them on there.

Then they said that their Insurance will not carry them if they allowed huskies in the areas. I wonder is this that false impression that " the look like wolves" so they must be dangerous?! Pathetic for any insurance company not to do their research cause if they had then they would know. Any dog has the potential to be dangerous with a irresponsible owner no matter what breed they are, however there are more breeds with reputation (which is arguable ) or more prone to be aggressive/protective than others.

What are you all thoughts on that?

Unfortunately, Huskies are sometimes on such a list. I think it's often the result of uneducated Husky owners that do not control their dogs and let them run.