"attack" While On The Couch

Anytime I'm on the couch and duke wants attention he is incredibly rude. He will get on the couch and climb on top of me or whoever. He takes my hands in his mouth in an attempt to get me to play. If I hide my hands he will use his paws to free them. He'll try to climb onto my shoulders, scratch, etc...He's even done it when I had my 3 month old son in my arms. I resort to yelling at him which I hate, but I don't know how else to stop this behavior. I've tried throwing him in the crate or outside, but as soon as his "time out" is over he's back on me again. Any suggestions?

Ronin was a fiend for this same couch behaviour. 

Trying to circumvent this behaviour is also the way forward, you probably will know when he is likely to go into this mode.

Training "on your mat" is going to be the best thing in the long run though. You can get his mat or a towel and put at the end of the couch or on the floor near you.  Get a little container with lots of very very small treats (half the size of a pea). Get him to "drop" or "settle" on the mat and throw him these tiny pieces. Say, "Gooood boy, gooood on your mat" and throw another treat. By using a large number of tiny treats you will get his attention for longer and the more likely he will stay is this position. Ideally you will throw or drop the treat between his front pays so he can remain settled. The better you both get in this the longer the period between giving the treats.

Regarding the treats, you may need to start with something high value or just bigger than the half pea size I recommended above. It is also important to reward before the behaviour turns rude so he doesn't think he gets rewarded for rude behaviour. If you are going to go to the couch, start the exercise before you sit down, then move into your position and keep the 'settle= reward' exercise going.

On occasions when it all gets too much we would use a dab on white vinegar or some essential oil like lavender or tea tree on our hands when he was in this mood. We would wave in under his nose and he would leave us alone for a bit. You can use it on a tissue if you like and it will do the same job. 

Don't use it all of the time as you don't want him to not want to be with you but sometimes it is good when you just need a break. 

This will take a lot of time and patience to get to a satisfactory level. Best of luck  :)