Hair raising

lynnmw1208

I was just wondering if anyone else's dogs did this. Whenever Pongo plays with another dog or gets really ruffed up when we play at home he raises the hair on his back. I thought dogs only did this when they were nervous about something. He does this everytime he plays. laugh.gif Just wondering if this was a normal behavior.

Also when does their puppy fur complete it's growth into adult fur? Pongo's fur seems to be growing really slow to me hahaha. Maybe I just want it to grow really fast so he can be prettier (oops handsom-er) He's about 7 months now

i cant find it, but this was posted not long ago.

although people see it as a sign of agression, its not always.

dogs hair can stand up when its excited or aroused also

micha does this also when playing.

edit here it is

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6185-raised-hackles-while-playing/

I was curoius of the same thing (hair length). Sky is about 8.5 months now and her hair still seems short to me. I'm used to poofy huskies but that's just not always the case. I think someone posted a link here (don't ask me where i found it!) that even said the very poofiness was not really desired. If i ever find it I'll try to post it back here

I have two Huskies and the one that comes from racing lines has fur that does exactly this. You can distinctly tell that the hair on her back is of different length/quality than the hair on her sides which is shorter in length. Is this considered the "guard hair"? I'm hoping that this part of her coat continues to fill out because it looks abnormal to me. She is only 14 months old right now. I'm assuming she hasn't completely grown into her adult coat yet. Would this be correct?

I will try and take a picture to help further illustrate if needed.

- Jon