training for scootering

hey ya im wanting some advice on traing for scootering

as you all probably know keira has just had a litter of pups, in a couple of months when shes strong enough again i intend on starting scootering with her, how do i start teaching her the commands ie when were out walking as such,

thank you any advice will be taken on board :)

First, you'll need to decide on what commands you want to use. Personally I use the traditional ones :

Haw - for left (but I shout HA incase someone thinks i'm calling them a WHORE lol)

GEE - right

HIKE ON - to set off or run fast

wooahhhh - stop

But, you can just use left / right etc - just whatever works best for you :)

do these on a walk at first and praise when she gets it right.

Do you know what equipment you will need ?

the snowpaw store starter kit is excellent but if you are going to be doing it on your own you might also want to get a scooter snub line (you can read my post about it on this tread: http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5368-getting-into-scootering-any-other-equipment/page__pid__79377__st__0entry79377 )

Teaching comands is easy. When you are out walking when you change direction you use the command (e.g. Gee when you want to go right). They will soon get familure with the command and you can start testing them by saying the command before you turn and see if they do it right. Of couse you will have to walk on unpredictable routes so you know they are obeying the command and not just walking the route they know. It took my two a few walks to get used to the commands and maybe a week or two to become reliable (as long as there are not cats etc causing a distraction)

Another vital command you should teach is "on by" which is used to tell the dogs to ingore any distractions and keep going stright on. I use this command if they decide to stop for a sniff or if we are over taking another team.

You may also want the command "stright on". Sometimes my two will try and take a turn when i want the to keep going straight on.

Hope this helps.