kira has been off her food latley

ok i moved into my friends house because big family problems at home ( my dad passing away)

and she had been fine in the new house for about two months about 3 weeks ago she hasnt been eating much at all

she has lost a few kgs and i have taken her to the vet he thinks its me being away from her her to go back n forth from my mums house for a few hours

he said theres nothing wrong with her that he can tell by looking at her i had giving him a pee sample and if that doesnt bring up anything the next thing is

blood sample she is really really picky i have tried many many dry dog foods canned foods cooking for her with chicken rice and pasta with different things

she seems to love stealing my bfs burger from hungry jacks when hes not looking one time. She will not touch raw foods any more (she used to love them especially chicken necks )

wont touch them unless i cook them .... but gets picky about them too... i was eating mac n cheese the other day and had left my bowl with 3/4 of it left i came back and it was all gone ...

i take her with me every where now atm i am staying t my mums house because she feels a bit more comfortable here with my mums roddy but she still only eats tiny bits .... she follows me everywhere even to the toilet she waits for me out side usually she would just keep sleeping ..... i think she is comiong on to heat soon too the vet said some dogs just stop eating and get really skinny when they do go into heat ....

my friend said to give her cottage cheese (if she eats it) and it helps with weight gain too she eats tiny bits of it ......

so any advice would be great .....

ps she fine with everything else she is normal in every way bit jumpy though play fine with the other dogs drinks well ..... just doesnt eat much

Hiya,

Sorry to hear about your Dad, mine also passed away this year.

My girl can be a bit fussy about her food too and although she usually havs raw chicken wings and a few dry Burns dogs biscuits, I occasionally supplement her with Salmon, steak or lambs heart ( Don't use lambs breast - too fatty)

You can get frying steak from Tesco and cheaper salmon and the lambs hearts come in a pack of three - that I cut up and put into several bags to freeze which you can microwave a little to defrost

and then lightly fry it with a teeny bit of ollive oil ( My girl loves garlic olive oil and garlic is great for them like it us for us) and wait for it to cool down.

If she is really off her food as many of these Huskies can be you could try sprinkling a tiny bit of grated cheese ( I use mature chedder fo rthe stronger flavour and smell) on the hot meat and stirring it in and allowing it to melt.

I have not met a dog who doesn't like cheese!!

I also buy raw beef bones from the butcher which is good for them to chew and the nourishment from the marrow and calcium in the bone is a fantastic way to supplement their diet and the chewing to stimulate their minds for a few hours.

Hope this helps!

Melissa x

great advice added to rep.

Sorry to hear about your dad hun :( xxhugglesxx

Huskies go off their food fairly often and can be smart and stubborn lol Stick with one food - kibble for example for say a week, put it down, if she doesn't eat within 15 mins, take it up and remove it and give no treats. Then at next meal time leave food down again for 15 mins, if it's not eaten remove again.

Keep doing this for a day or two (huskies are not dumb enough to starve themselves to death so don't worry my boys have gone 2 days without food doing this and it kickstarted them into eating normally)

Keep us posted as to how she is getting on :)

ok so i got a new puppy sitkah as you no ............... and kira has been eating a bit more

because they now fight over there food (play fight ) when he eats she eats so hopefully

she puts on the weight ?? any thing i can cook up or serve raw that helps put on the kgs ??

Glad she is starting to eat again.

Chicken wings - raw.

Frying steak, lambs heart, lean pork - All of these cooked in a bit of olive oil will help to put some weight back on her.

Kibble alone can be quite tasteless for them and to be perfectlu honest it isn't very natural for a dog to only have dry food.

Just check the ingredients on the Purina food as many of these well known brands use cheap crappy meat called - "Meat and Animal derivitives" which is the worse parts of the animal including feet, hair and stomach!

They also add a lot of colourings and preservatives which over time can cause major health problems.

Burns, Simply and Skinners and Darling foods are UK based suppliers which cook their food ( Darlings is RAW food) with good meat with much needed other ingredients of fibre in rice and nutrients in vegetables.

Dogs are NOT CARNIVOURES ( Like Cats) they are like us - OMNIVOURES ( Like Bears) and therefore need these other foods in addition to meat to have a fully balanced diet.

Did the cheese work ??

They are gorgeous Huskies :)

Hi,

Sasha went off her food for about 2 weeks when we got Bailey so we changed her biscuits to Royal Canine this brand is a premium dog food so I wasn't too worried about quality. This brand also boasts it is the most pallatable dry dog food.... and yes they were so right she couldn't resist and once she started eating for a few weeks we started her slowly on her regular dry dog food, Advanced mixed with the Royal Canine.

Goodluck ;o)

ok so i got a new puppy sitkah as you no ............... and kira has been eating a bit more

because they now fight over there food (play fight ) when he eats she eats so hopefully

she puts on the weight ?? any thing i can cook up or serve raw that helps put on the kgs ??

As I mentioned in the other thread - do not feed them together if they get into each others food. This can create resource guarding as the dogs get stressed that the other one will take their food.

Personally I feed all my dogs separately and use feeding time as a time I can train each of them.

I agree with Sarah when she said to give Kira 15 minutes to eat and if she doesn't take the food away until the next meal time. Either she eats when you put food down or not at all. Pandering to her fussiness will just make her worse.