Damn computer acting up...

Duremite

So my computer has been on the fritz and I'm really in need of advice. I'm going to give a bit of background into the problem, so excuse me if I'm choppy.

Starting in April (Hey look, when I joined the site! Wait... You didn't curse me did you?!? D:< )

We had just moved to California and had the computer shipped to us. Alas, Vince's mom kept the computer in her trunk for a month in the summer going back and forth to work, I believe this is what caused the problem. We would hook the computer up and the power light would turn on, and the fans would spin, but the monitor, mouse, and keyboard never responded to this connection. We took the computer down to Staples and it was determined that the motherboard had fried on us and we paid to replace it. The computer worked just fine for a little bit but before we left for Texas it started acting up slightly.

The computer made a car trip to Texas. (July - December) It was secured in the floorboard of the backseat.

The computer got a little bit worse. It was running okay, but we had no internet and at one point we had to reset to factory specs because the computer was caught in a start up loop. Nothing else of true importance happened here except for it's slow decline in start up speed.

We finally got out of Texas and drove to North Carolina, again, the computer was secured in the floorboard of the backseat.

By the time we got here Start up was taking 10-15 minutes. It stalls for a long while on the "Starting windows..." screen, the black screen that follows just before the password screen, just after entering the password (IE "Preparing your desktop" "Logging in"), and then for a additional 5-10 minutes when it first loads the desktop and another 5 when you first start running programs. We didn't have internet for a week or so, so we were just using the computer for games and such.

Then we got internet and here's where the fun begins.

Updates begin installing, service packs, anti-virus, just regular updates. We are of course, waiting the long wait times to allow it to restart and do the whole 30 minute start up while we update. Then one day while on Facebook the speakers (Surround sound) suddenly make a high pitch screech like when you put two wireless phones too close together and the screen turns into colored bars. We turn the computer off and let it sit for a moment before attempting to start up. The power and fans turn on, but the monitor does not respond. Convinced we're having a problem with the motherboard again we turn the computer off, and let it sit for four days before deciding to give the computer a try again.

It works! But start up is considerably slower than it used to be and it's freezing up a whole bunch. We use the computer for a few days before it happens again. This time we turned the computer off, unplugged it for a bit, plugged it back in, and it turns on. This has happened two more times since. Once we were able to unplug and replug, and the other time we let it sit overnight. After the overnight sitting, we opened up the tower and cleaned out all the dust. It had not been done since April.

Since then, the computer has been running quite a bit better, but it's still having hiccups and freezing sessions. Start up still takes longer than it should, but not nearly as long as it used to. We've yet to have another loud screech/colored bars session, but we only cleaned it out four or five days ago.

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that a few times on start up the theme has been set to classic and it looks like I'm running Windows 98.

This computer runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, 6GB RAM, 1 T harddrive, AMD Athlon II Quadcore 630 Processor, off the top of my head. Any help or clue as to what's happening would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch for your time.

If your motherboard went before and your motherboard has gone again I would question other componants in your machine as it may be one of these which is blowing your board. I would suggest taking it to someone who can properly diagnose the issue and replace the cause rather than (what it sounds like staples have done) fixing the thing that the cause blew.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure it's the motherboard blowing again, because it's been starting back up. But I could most certainly be wrong. It wouldn't be able to start with the motherboard blown out right? XD I have such basic knowledge of hardware. I suppose you're right though, gonna have to go somewhere that's not just big business trying to get money. Appreciate the advice. Hopefully we'll have the funds to get this thing diagnosed soon. D;

Hi there, Tech geek here. :) Of course it'll be hard since I'm not physically there, but I'll try to help as much as I possibly can.

The only other info I would need is...

Did you have the computer personally built or is it company made? If it's the latter, it would be great to know what make and model it is :) If you don't know, it isn't super important. So no worries

The Freeze Ups and Slow Loading Times

The only things I can think of is that the Staples tech didn't properly install some components into the motherboard or that he gave you a wrong/bad motherboard. It could also be that the processor is dying. Either from heat, not being used for long periods or just because it feels like it (and yes, sometime it will just feel like it -___-) Either way, if your computer used to run smoothly and you did a complete factory reset, something faulty is in the system.

Screen Colors/making white noise

This could also be the monitor. Also check your area to see if there are any type of magnets around. They're really bad to keep around monitors and computers, leaving your monitor exposed to magnets will cause ill effects like this. (Screwdrivers and some other tools can also have magnets in them)

Unfortunately, the only way to test is to check your computer at a different monitor. If your computer still does the same funky colors and sound at a different monitor, the possible case is that your video card went bad or isn't installed properly.

My Hypothesis

From what you are saying in your post, I am going to guess that something's going on with the video card. If your desktop looks like it's running in Windows 98 (and youre not doing this on purpose), it usually is because it can't handle the effects of the newer "Glass Aero" theme.

Another thing I would guess for it being slow and such, the processor could be acting up.

As Marc said, you might want to have it checked out again. The last person might have not checked it out properly.

Edited by Odin's Beard
poopy corrections

Hi there, Tech geek here. :) Of course it'll be hard since I'm not physically there, but I'll try to help as much as I possibly can.

The only other info I would need is...

Did you have the computer personally built or is it company made? If it's the latter, it would be great to know what make and model it is :) If you don't know, it isn't super important. So no worries

The Freeze Ups and Slow Loading Times

The only things I can think of is that the Staples tech didn't properly install some components into the motherboard or that he gave you a wrong/bad motherboard. It could also be that the processor is dying. Either from heat, not being used for long periods or just because it feels like it (and yes, sometime it will just feel like it -___-) Either way, if your computer used to run smoothly and you did a complete factory reset, something faulty is in the system.

Screen Colors/making white noise

This could also be the monitor. Also check your area to see if there are any type of magnets around. They're really bad to keep around monitors and computers, leaving your monitor exposed to magnets will cause ill effects like this. (Screwdrivers and some other tools can also have magnets in them)

Unfortunately, the only way to test is to check your computer at a different monitor. If your computer still does the same funky colors and sound at a different monitor, the possible case is that your video card went bad or isn't installed properly.

My Hypothesis

From what you are saying in your post, I am going to guess that something's going on with the video card. If your desktop looks like it's running in Windows 98 (and youre not doing this on purpose), it usually is because it can't handle the effects of the newer "Glass Aero" theme.

Another thing I would guess for it being slow and such, the processor could be acting up.

As Marc said, you might want to have it checked out again. The last person might have not checked it out properly.

Oh hello there. Thank you very much, I greatly appreciate the help.

The computer is factory made. It's a HP Pavilion. I'm not sure on it's exact model, but it's a little over two years old.

That was our first guess, that it was the processor. But like I said, basic hardware knowledge. XD

There are certainly no magnets near the monitor. Though I do have a question, because the sound is surround sound and is not connected to the monitor at all, right? So if it was a monitor problem, would it still be making the sounds?

Hmmm, you're probably onto something with the video card. That hasn't been suggested to me yet. But I did realize this earlier.

post-7590-13586089180291_thumb.jpg

We're definitely going to have to take it somewhere for a diagnosis.

Again, I really appreciate your input. :3

You're right, a processor going haywire would cause the computer to stop working. (duh me haha :))

As far as I know, since your graphics score is low and your computer is pretty new, it could be a basic integrated video card.

If it's a integrated video card, yes it can make the weird noises because most integrated graphics ALSO use the same Sound inputs.

1ydb7awl.png

In the red box is where the integrated parts is for most computers, which is controlled by the motherboard. They all work in the same general area, so if you have your monitor AND speakers plugged in here. A disruption in this area could chain effect the other areas.

(Sudden realization! o__o) It might also be the cause for your mouse/keyboard to stop working when your computer goes crazy

.....which brings us back to square one: The Motherboard. Yes, a motherboard malfunctioning can cause the computer to stop working, but it could also be the chip that controls this integrated area. Unfortunately, you can't replace this chip without replacing the whole motherboard.

If your sound or video is plugged into one of the horizontal slots on the bottom, it isn't integrated.

Then we're back at square zero, trying to figure out what is hating on the motherboard hehe

Edited by Odin's Beard

Alright so yeah, it would seem that it is integrated, and that makes a lot of sense. Learn something new everyday.

If it is the motherboard though, blah. Just had the thing replaced in April. Like Marc said, does that mean there's another underlying cause that's blowing out my motherboard? Or possibly in this case, the chip in it.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but is there anyway it could be a power supply problem? I'm already learning so much from this. XD I want to learn more.

Good thinking :) A lot of times, the powersupply is looked over.

If the power supply doesn't give enough power for a computer to work, then it could make lots of components heat up. Thus, making the computer work slower and eventually freeze up.

If the tech gave you a motherboard that needs more voltage than your power supply can give, it definitely could be a cause.

:bananadance1: Maybe I know a little bit more then I thought. XD Then again, I'm at the point where I understand that there's a part, and that it serves whatever purpose, but not what it going bad will do to the computer or how it affects other components. Which is why I really enjoyed you explaining into things. Thanks again. lol

So we've got a couple possible problems. I'll take it down and see if I can't get a free diagnostic somewhere in town next time I'm there. Better now while it's still running rather than waiting for it to die.

The reality is no matter what we say the simple answer is we are just guessing. There are many many reasons why your computer could be doing the things it is and the only way to know is to physically have our hands on the computer to look at. So yeah I would say taking it for someone to look at is a good idea.