barf diet??? help!

hi i have a 14 week old husky bitch,,,, since we have had her she has had bad diarrhea... she has been tested for bugs and parasites... nothing.... she has had a special food for allergys,,,(purina ha) but this just madde her worse,,,, im now feeding her fish and chicken with potatoe or rice ... as long as she dosnt sneak any if the kids food shes ok,,, just wanted some info on the BARF feeding,,,, will she need supplements?? is barf best???... wat else can i give her????

i found with oscar that rice gives him the runs?

I have started the barf diet or semi barf diet and find that oscar is filling out more and seems to go to the toilet less! i give him his biscuits in the morning and raw in the afternoon when i get home! (either 4 chicken wings, half a turkey leg or 3 chicken thighs with some par boiled carrot) he loves it! havent found a good butcher yet though so havent gone full barf as its 2 expensive!

I would be concerned about more than diet at her age, she's awfully young to be having bad food allergies. Assuming she's up to date with worming? Although I guess the tests would have shown if she had worms.

I feed a raw diet and it can be a bit of work to get right with a pup. For now, I'd work at getting her tummy settled and then I'd slowly introduce other food. What was her breeder feeding her? Has she been able to give you any advice?

the food the breeder gave her was purina puppy beta... but it was just running through her!... shes all up to date with her worming and vaccinations,,,, her poo was tested at a lab for numerous things,,,, she is full of energy.. just runny poo..... wen she isnt on dog food after a few days shes ok,,,...jusy want to make sure she gettin all nutrients and vitamiins she needs

Hi our pups had the runs but we managed to turn it aroung by getting Royal Canin puppy food feeding 50grms three times a day then moving on to two meals and very slowly increasing the amount. But also is your pup started to teeth this will also give him the runs as well. Both our pups are solid now on Royal canin we have moved onto the junior , to give a bit of spice we do feed fresh chicken and raw salmon twice a week which they love plus they have some fruit. Hopes this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

I had this EXACT same problem! When I picked up my pup at 9 weeks I dealt with the runs constantly for 3 full months! I had her checked for worms a number of times and tried the Royal Canin Gastro food. When that didnt work I finally tried a Limited Ingredient Diet of Duck and Potato and still no change.

I spoke to my dog trainer and he suggested trying out frozen chicken backs and necks that you get from a poultry farm. Divide it in to 1-2lb sandwich bags and freeze for 72 hours before feeding it to her frozen. Than once a month give her an egg and a cup of plain yogurt.

I tried it and within a couple days she had solid stools and she wasnt needing to go every 2-4 hours. I've had her at the vet since then and she is doing healthy and her stool eventually turns in to dust so it makes yard duty REALLY easy! lol.

I definitely will not go back to kibble. She was a young pup and definitely had a problem with something in the kibble ingredients list.

Hope this helps.

Desi

I had severe problems getting my pup solid..

Eventually found 2 things fixed it - 1 watch the protein on the foods, a lot of puppy food is very high in protein which upsets the pup's stomach.

and the second was a special doggie probiotic powder, added 1 scoop to each feed and within 3 days my boy was pooping like a champ and looking proud of it !

Glad you got Saskia's problem resolved. When we picked up Zoya at 9 weeks, she had the same problem. We wormed her, changed her food over, and she's been fine since. Sometimes, though, it can be a nightmare to resolve the runny poo syndrome (RPS).