Visual Basic (.NET) programmers.

Removed #5

This was fairly straight forward. I've pulled the text data from a font file, and in this routine am searching backwards through an array of designer names looking for a hit on the designer. strString contains the concatenated text from the font file.

Code:

Function SearchDesigner(ByVal strString As String) As String 

'Dim errMsg As String 

Dim i As Integer         

Dim strstrString As String = strString.ToLower         

If Len(strString) = 0 Then Return ""         

For i = UBound(arDesigner) - 1 To 0 Step -1             

Try                 

If strstrString Like "*" & arDesigner(i, 0) & "*" Then                     

arDesignerCounter(i) += 1                     

Return arDesigner(i, 1)                 

End If             

Catch e As ArgumentException                 

'errMsg = String.Format("Line {0} {1} " & vbLf & "Contains an invalid pattern and will be skipped.", i, arDesigner(i, 0))                 

'MessageBox.Show(errMsg, "Pattern Error", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information)             

End Try         

Next         

Return ""     

End Function 

I've just parsed my way through 225,000 font files. Most of the time this works as I expect but upon occasion (1,500 more or less out of the 225,000 files) it doesn't.

For example: strString = "© daisuke sugisawa001.00'"

The array I'm parsing through, in part, looks like:

Quote:

[TABLE]

[TD="class: alt2"] DadoQueiroz Dado Queiroz

Daisuke Monma Daisuke Monma

daisuke sugisawa Daisuke Sugisawa

Dale R. Kramer Dale R Kramer

dale schumacher Dale Schumacher[/TD]

[/TABLE]

It should have been true only on the middle line, since nothing that I can see matches til that point.

and the last three lines of the array look like:

Quote:

[TABLE]

[TD="class: alt2"] Typographer?s Edition (93) Typographers Edition (93)

Typographer?s Edition \(93\) Typographers Edition (93)

Typographer?s Edition (94) Typographers Edition (94)[/TD]

[/TABLE]

Like is returning true ( a match ) on the last line ... and I can't see why. Looking at the other files where I've not had a valid hit it appears as if the paranthesis might be the proble but a paranthesis is a match character to the like operator. Anyone?

By the way, the reason for the backward search is to allow those cases where a name is contained within another name to get hit first. "Paul Roberts" needs to come after "Paul Robertson" (logically) for example - solved easiest by an alphabetical sort and a reverse search.

Edited by Al Jones

This was fairly straight forward. I've pulled the text data from a font file, and in this routine am searching backwards through an array of designer names looking for a hit on the designer. strString contains the concatenated text from the font file.

Code:

Function SearchDesigner(ByVal strString As String) As String
'Dim errMsg As String
Dim i As Integer
Dim strstrString As String = strString.ToLower
If Len(strString) = 0 Then Return ""
For i = UBound(arDesigner) - 1 To 0 Step -1
Try
If strstrString Like "*" & arDesigner(i, 0) & "*" Then
arDesignerCounter(i) += 1
Return arDesigner(i, 1)
End If
Catch e As ArgumentException
'errMsg = String.Format("Line {0} {1} " & vbLf & "Contains an invalid pattern and will be skipped.", i, arDesigner(i, 0))
'MessageBox.Show(errMsg, "Pattern Error", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information)
End Try
Next
Return ""
End Function
[/CODE]

I've just parsed my way through 225,000 font files. Most of the time this works as I expect but upon occasion (1,500 more or less out of the 225,000 files) it doesn't.

For example: strString = "© daisuke sugisawa001.00'"

The array I'm parsing through, in part, looks like:

Quote:

[TABLE]

[TD="class: alt2"] DadoQueiroz Dado Queiroz

Daisuke Monma Daisuke Monma

[i]daisuke sugisawa[/i] Daisuke Sugisawa

Dale R. Kramer Dale R Kramer

dale schumacher Dale Schumacher[/TD]

[/TABLE]

It should have been true only on the middle line, since nothing that I can see matches til that point.

and the last three lines of the array look like:

Quote:

[TABLE]

[TD="class: alt2"] Typographer?s Edition (93) Typographers Edition (93)

Typographer?s Edition \(93\) Typographers Edition (93)

Typographer?s Edition (94) Typographers Edition (94)[/TD]

[/TABLE]

Like is returning true ( a match ) on the last line ... and I can't see why. Looking at the other files where I've not had a valid hit it appears as if the paranthesis might be the proble but a paranthesis is a match character to the like operator. Anyone?

By the way, the reason for the backward search is to allow those cases where a name is contained within another name to get hit first. "Paul Roberts" needs to come after "Paul Robertson" (logically) for example - solved easiest by an alphabetical sort and a reverse search.

[hr][/hr]

debuggin brb