Nutra Cal....Any one else ever use this?

Garres was really under weight when we rescued him. He's been on a diet of about 6 cups of kibble a day for 3 months. However he is not putting on any weight in hi hind end. I talked with my vet, and she said to try Nutra Cal. It's like feeding an adult human 4 protein bars a day on top of regular meals.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever used it before, or if there is another recommendation? I have never heard of it before, and I am a bit wary of giving him something I have never heard of.

I've not used it but it's basically a High-calorie, low-volume dietary supplement for dogs who won't eat.

Have you tried feeding raw before trying this? feeding half raw half kibble will help put weight on, so say one meal kibble and the other for example....4 chicken wings?

If you look at the analysis on ingredients - it's main analysis is the high fat content which isn't going to keep weight on him, you don't want to feed him this for life, you could do with finding something that will build up gradually

Crude protein (min.)0.7%

Crude fat (min.) 34.5%

Crude fiber (max.)3.7%

Moisture (max.)14%

Calories (calculated)30

Calcium (min.) 0.16 mg (0.0026%)

Calcium (max.)0.20 mg (0.0033%)

Phosphorus0.02 mg (0.0006%)

Iron0.47 mg (0.0088%)

Iodine0.50 mg (0.0088%)

Magnesium 0.38 mg (0.0067%)

Manganese 0.90 mg (0.0167%)

Potassium0.15 mg (0.0025%)

Vitamin A 940 I.U.

Vitamin D3 54 I.U.

Vitamin E 5 I.U.

Vitamin B1 (thiamine HCl) 1.7 mg

Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) 0.2 mg

Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine HCl) 0.8 mg

Vitamin B12 1.9 mcg

Folic acid 0.2 mg

Nicotinamide 1.9 mg

Pantothenic acid 0.9 mg

I have not tried the raw diet before....I'm not sure how I feel about my boys eating raw meat. Silly I know.

I give them boiled chicken or turkey, veggies and rice once a week. They love it, however they both eat about 8 cups when I make it. I honestly don't think I could afford to give them the raw diet even once a day every day.

Garres is healthy, and weighs 55lbs now, you wouldn't guess that but looking at him tho. He eats a lot lol He has been tested for worms and other things and every test comes back fine. He is big in the head and chest, but when you get to his hips you can feel the bones, almost every detail of them.

My vet told me not to worry, because he's healthy. But he could use a little more muscle :)

Feeding raw can sometimes work out cheaper - it depends on how much you spend on kibble really - might be worth costing it out - ask your butcher how much he would sell your raw meaty bones for and cost it out - you might be surprised :)

If you want to put muscle on him, how often do you walk him and how far? Running / scootering / rollerblading is a great way to build up muscle gradually, if you do this, make sure you feed a high protein diet as well so he doesn't loose weight with the extra exercise :)

we usually go to a field near by 4 times a wk where both boys and kids can run free for about 2 hrs. As for during the day, unfortunately I have had to stop our walks because walking too far puts too much strain on my tummy muscles :( I hate it, and I have tried to find a dog walker, but it's not as easy as I thought it would be. My husband will be home soon and has agreed to take him running when he runs after work, but that may only be 1-2 times a week.

As for a butcher here, I have yet to find an actual butcher. I hate buying packaged meat lol

I was doing some reading on the raw diet. I'm a little confused as to how to actually feed. I've read 2-4% of there body weight. And that they can have just about anything. Plus veggies, fruits and yogurt and cheese and eggs.

Is there a web site that really goes into detail about the raw diet? I'm curious about it, although not really sure how well it would go over with the hubby.

• 1 month later...

I have done my home work per say :) Both of my boys are now getting dry kibble once a day and raw once a day. Garres has already started to fill out. However, being in Hawaii it's a bit expensive for the raw diet, but very worth it :)

The boys love it, I have started them on chicken and turkey and the innards kinda all mixed along with steamed carrots, peas and white rice. (they wont eat the veggies raw). I also give them a frozen yogurt treat once a week of plain yogurt, apple sauce and mango pureed together. They love it :)