Fight for dominance or aggression ?

tracey8

ok i seem to be having a few problems with the pack and just with life in general!

this time it is with my 2 boys ,one is intact and one is not but will be getting him done.

The issues= constant growling at each other the need to pee over each others pee which to me sounds like dominance i may be wrong! today it kicked off they were both growling eyeballing and both shaking i mean there whole body! sometimes there hackles are up sometimes not once this has passed they are fine ,any thoughts or ideas please!!! they do back off once i break it up but it is not a good position to put myself in but it is the only way they will back off.

Edited by tracey8

How long have you had them both?

I had similar problems when I was fostering Storm - being fully intact he tried for top dog - my boy Sam, who likes to be alpha and is somewhat bigger, wasn't having any of it. I got Storm done that week and a few days after the mounting, peeing over each other pee and pretty much most of their behaviour calmed down. They still have their moments and it has been two months but by getting Storm done it saved a LOT of hassle.

I also found looking at the situations they are in before they start to fight helped, there is usually something which is a sign of them going to start - for example Storm would stare in Sam's face, not overly close, but Sam being almost blind in one eye it is his weakness so he would go off from that. I would then tell him away if he did this while distracting Sam so he wouldn't go off on one - I would highly praise him if he walked away so he would be rewarded for the good rather than the bad. Food might be an issue, if that's the case then try to train them into sharing, separate them around food if you have to... Closed spaces might cause issues or pretty much anything, a bed, their possesions or even being around you.

I found watching them closely helped me sort out the issues - at the early stages it was being around us that started it so I distanced my self from them, not giving contact and ignoring them somewhat so they had to go to each other to play etc, creates a lovely bond.

Oh, and if they do get into a fight try to remain calm - difficult I know - if you go inthere guns blazing it will add to the atmosphere and most likely fuel the fire so to speak.

Hope this helps - it helped me understand them :) You might just think I'm rambling about crap though ahha.

How long have you had them both?

I had similar problems when I was fostering Storm - being fully intact he tried for top dog - my boy Sam, who likes to be alpha and is somewhat bigger, wasn't having any of it. I got Storm done that week and a few days after the mounting, peeing over each other pee and pretty much most of their behaviour calmed down. They still have their moments and it has been two months but by getting Storm done it saved a LOT of hassle.

I also found looking at the situations they are in before they start to fight helped, there is usually something which is a sign of them going to start - for example Storm would stare in Sam's face, not overly close, but Sam being almost blind in one eye it is his weakness so he would go off from that. I would then tell him away if he did this while distracting Sam so he wouldn't go off on one - I would highly praise him if he walked away so he would be rewarded for the good rather than the bad. Food might be an issue, if that's the case then try to train them into sharing, separate them around food if you have to... Closed spaces might cause issues or pretty much anything, a bed, their possesions or even being around you.

I found watching them closely helped me sort out the issues - at the early stages it was being around us that started it so I distanced my self from them, not giving contact and ignoring them somewhat so they had to go to each other to play etc, creates a lovely bond.

Oh, and if they do get into a fight try to remain calm - difficult I know - if you go inthere guns blazing it will add to the atmosphere and most likely fuel the fire so to speak.

Hope this helps - it helped me understand them :) You might just think I'm rambling about crap though ahha.

i have had them both from pups one 2yrs old and the other is 3 yrs old so they have always been together with hardly any problems,it is my male who is not intact who starts it i am with them all the time so i am there to watch closely ,it is not over food or toys and not over me because it happens when im not near them,they just walk past each other and start growling as i have watched them from the window to see what starts it off ,i also noticed my youngest trying to get between them ? thanks for your reply :)

I would consider it a dominance thing, although there are some on the forum who would disagree - I've seen similar situations in my own pack, and it seems to be largely about who gets what perks and prerogatives. You might try filling a can with small coins, taping it shut, and then watching for the start of the snotty behavior, and lob the noisy can toward them. It should startle them out of their confrontation, and when it does, reward them... It's my experience that allowing the behavior to continue, without either allowing them to fight it out and determine their relative positions, or taking charge and not allowing any confrontations to take place, the behavior is likely to slowly get worse...

We had a similar problem with our boys. They're both intact aged 4y5mths and 3y9mths now. It started when Loki, the younger one reached social maturity at around 2 yrs. I intervened when it kicked off and we had a couple of minor blood injuries but they sorted it themselves. Togo is top dog but strangely if Loki is blocking a doorway Togo won't pass. He'll huff an puff until he gets someone's attention and they can get Loki to move his bum so Togo can pass.

We had a few do's when they girls were in season on one occasion and it was like Alcatraz in the kitchen one dog in one dog out but nothing since. They get along really well and still do the whole, I can pee higher than you but but nothing more.

But as for my girls, that's a whole different kettle of fish :/

They are not all that dissimilar to humans - you aren't going to like everyone you have to deal with, and sometimes those that are most difficult to get along with are family members!

I can definitely relate to that :)

We had a similar problem with our boys. They're both intact aged 4y5mths and 3y9mths now. It started when Loki, the younger one reached social maturity at around 2 yrs. I intervened when it kicked off and we had a couple of minor blood injuries but they sorted it themselves. Togo is top dog but strangely if Loki is blocking a doorway Togo won't pass. He'll huff an puff until he gets someone's attention and they can get Loki to move his bum so Togo can pass.

We had a few do's when they girls were in season on one occasion and it was like Alcatraz in the kitchen one dog in one dog out but nothing since. They get along really well and still do the whole, I can pee higher than you but but nothing more.

But as for my girls, that's a whole different kettle of fish :/

Thank you ,it is a big help when you hear that others have gone through the same issue's!!

i tend to always blame myself and thing it is something that im doing or not doing! and i get frustrated with myself not the dogs! :)