Nipping

Hey there,

I also had this problem which has now been totally resolved, At 8 weeks your pup is too young to understand No even if he looks as if he understands. There are quite a few ways to help stop his nipping, one of which is to re-direct him to something he can chew and nip at lol such as a toy, the other method I used which worked a treat was to ignore my pup If she nipped me - I did however keep my hands still if she did nip because moving them suddenly or pulling them back can be seen as play - If he does nip you shout ouch quite loudly, she should then learn that he is being to rough. If the pup continued to nip then I would get up and leave the room for a short time. Praise the good behavior that you want aswell, If he plays nicely and doesn't nip - praise him, give him treats or a fuss - just show him what is and isn't acceptable. It is all about consistancy and patience! Try to remain calm through-out it all though as getting angry frustrated can mean you give off vibes that the pup can pick up off.

I actually started a thread containing a similar thing when I joined here when I had this problem - I got loads of awesome advice which may help you, heres the link:

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4037

Hope this helps :D

There are 3 things you can do saraandnukka, and Katrina...to help stop that nipping...lol.

Since puppies at this age nip as a form of play or as a way of getting attention try these.

1st Distract her using a treat, holding it high above her, and when she sits quietly for a few seconds without being naughty...give her the treat.

2nd...try having him (your hubby) get up walk to another side of the room and if she plays with toys have him offer her a toy. you do this exactly the same as the treat trick. You hold a rope high above her head until she sits calmly, then offer it to her and play. You would be surprised how often they nip just because they are bored and need some active exercise...and when she lets go of the rope do not give it back until she sits again to earn it.

and 3rd...as mentioned before try yipping LOUDLY at her when you know she is about to start nipping. when this fails...try piching her ear alittle...not too hard...and only until she makes a little yip herself.

I prefer the first 2 things actually as you are offering up another form of attention and having her earn the reward of play or treats to not nip you...meanwhile teaching her to sit to get attention as well.

I actually did the "ouch" thing today at Nukka when we were playing and it worked a treat! She was so shocked it stopped her in her tracks so I combined it with ignoring her for 5 minutes and I think it sunk in that she hurt me and it wasnt good... am gunna tell my husband to try it as hes the one that bears the brunt of her little demon teeth! lols!