Please help! Puppy snapping at hands

Hi was wondering if anyone can advise on a small problem we're having with our girl.

Shes very snappy especially when she plays but sometimes just when my husband is petting her, she hops up on the sofa for a snuggle and then when he goes to stroke her she mouths at his hand like she going to bite him, now I have been trying holding her mouth closed and telling her No very firmly when she does it and my husband tries to do the same but she just doesnt seem to get the messgae.

Is this just puppy behavior she'll grow out of? Does anyone else have the same problem? What can we do to stop her? I know Huskies do love the rough and tumble and I do play with her in a wrestling sort of way and she snaps at the air when we wrestle but if she ever actaully gets my hand I hold her nose again and tell her No.. should I just stop playing with her like this if this is encouraging her to be snappy?

I really need some help on this one as when I took her out the other day and a little boy was unsure but wanted to stroke her so he was making lots of sudden moves and pulling his hand away and she snapped like she was playing, I was lucky as she didnt actually get him and I pulled her away and told her No but if she does this on a regular basis Im going to have to keep her away from people as I dont want to get linched by some kids parent if she snaps at them in play!!

Thanks Sarah

Shes just comeing up to 15 weeks.

It sounds like she hasn't yet learnt bite inhibition.

It's not a behaviour she will grow out of unless you teach her not to do it, and what is acceptable behaviour.

I would suggest redirecting her to a toy, instead of playing rough and tumble look at playing a game like tug of war, it means you can teach the dog biting the toy is ok but rough play with us has limits.

If she gets too excited and starts nipping on the lounge, tell her no and calmly put her on the ground. Ignore her if she's nipping, give her something she CAN nip like a toy and reward her when she's gentle. You want to 'shape' the behaviour you want to see, at the moment she doesn't realise that nipping isn't how she engages with people.

Sometimes giving a yelp when she nips can help. Sometimes grabbing their muzzle can make them think you are playing too and rile them up even more.

Interesting, thanks! I'd read the holding her muzzle thing in a book and it did work to begin with but it has sort of stoped being as effective. My husband does try to get play tug with her instead so I'll tell him thats good and keep doing that.

Thanks.

Just make sure if you do play tug with her that you set the ground rules.

I actually use tug of war to teach the 'give' command, I hold the dog still and slowly say give until the dog releases it, and reward them by moving the toy around again so they can chase it.

I make tug of war a really simple game - I get the dog to chase the toy, then I let them 'capture' it and we have a few tugs, when I've had enough of that I hold the tug still and ask them to give. Then reward them by making the toy 'come alive' again. Sometimes I chuck in a command like sit when they are chasing the toy, I can wave the toy in front of my dog's face and she won't grab it without my ok. I can throw it and she won't chase after it until I give her the release word. So you can make it fun, as well as using it as a way to teach the dog self control too.

shadow is the same, he nips all the time and can get quite agressive, he has already cut my 3 yo daughter hand and marked her face :'( he is only 11 weeks old. we have tried holding his mouth shut or putting out thump in his mouth and putting presure down under his tongue but at the moment nothing has worked. he has had all his jabs now so i will be looking into puppy training classes

We had had this prob when we rehomed Grey and kinda still do to a point. When Grey starts to mouth>bite really hard (Gets over excited) I dont give him any attention and when he jumps up I quickly turn my back to him and ignor him ( can be doing it for ages but the msg does sink in after a while) once your Sibe can play nice do reward with treats & lots of Fuss :D

Hope it works out for you. Keep us posted!!

their is a few methods but at a young age they teeth and need to nibble bite and whatever with oscar we just calmly deal with the situation and use that aswell as get his toy and he plays with that with him as a substitue but if it's a aggresive bite then grip the side of the neck and hold him down if riggles do it until he submises to you like his mum would, do when he was a with his mum and the best thing is consistency and to believe in what your gonna do whatever method,