External Hard Dives

Ok you tech savvy lot, I have an external hard drive, I thought I would be a good idea to move all my stuff onto it to free up my lap top (hoping to make my lap top run quicker). Now when I plug the external hard drive in it is no longer being recognised?!?! It's one that gets plugged into a power socket and then into the laptop via USB. Does any one know if there is a way that all my stuff can be retrieved from the hard drive? It has all Nanooks puppy pics on there and I would hate to loose them all :(

Any help would be very appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

So does it even spin if you plug it in? Have you tried the basics like a different power outlet, the power cord is seated properly(if it plugs into the drive). I have a 2 terabyte hard drive, and I would freak out if I lost all of my stuff. Sorry you are having problems. Next time look into solid state drives. They cost alot more, but have less moving parts. If you Google the make and model, and you might find some help.... :what:

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

What brand is it, out of curiosity? I have a Fantom hard drive and it has been doing the exact same thing. We sent it back once for repairs, worked fine for awhile, and now it's back to doing it again. I think the last time it was where it plugs into the hard drive that was the problem... I would assume it's the same thing this time.

It's a western digital I got it off amazon. Tried all the usual, different plug sockets, wiggle the wire ( think that's the technical term lol) different USB port, etc. when it was working a little light would come on (power indicator?) and I would be able to hear it whirring (starting up?) then it would pop up in a bubble saying something like additional drive found. It would then be accessible via the "my computer" icon ( maybe other ways of locating it but I don't know how) then all of a sudden plug it in as normal and nothing - no whirring no light nada?!? :(

I would try taking it out of the external case and pluging it in with just the HDD. Make sure it's upside down though so the big metal top is on the bottom (if that makes sense). If that doesn't work it might be toast :( It could be a problem with the external case.

Some of them have snap-apart cases (put a nail file between the top and bottom covers) and others are actually screwed together. Assuming that it's an SATA drive (and most of them have been over the past few years) you should be able to take it out of its case and plug it into your tower.

I've grown to hate external drives - my problems all stem from the USB connections but I've finally spent the money on an EZ-Doc station that accepts both large and small SATA drives.

Thanks [MENTION=5355]Al Jones[/MENTION], I'll have a look at it. If I can't figure it out I'll have to see if I can find a shop that can look at this sort of thing. It's under warranty (I think) but I don't want to send it back because I don't think they will even try to get the photo's and stuff off it so I'd rather try and get them off my self.

I has a different problem...

External will no longer power up...

we have 2 of them...1 I'm not so worried about because it's just a bunch of movies...the other has literally the first 5 years of my children's lives on, 250 page rough draft of a book I started writing, 2200 years of family history and stories along with pictures on it....

helps?