food causing runs

Hi I was just wondering if anyone else experienced their husky having loose stools when eating blue buffalo. Pongo is on an EN diet right now which is just really bland and his stool was firming up but still soft. I started mixing in his regular diet of blue buffalo and it's runny again. What is a better food that might not upset his stomach?

Wow 2am!! you're up late!

Just for some info this is what is in blue buffalo puppy:

Crude Protein 27.0% min

Crude Fat 16.0% min

Crude Fiber 4.0% max

Moisture 10.0% max

Calcium 1.3% min

Phosphorus 1.0% min

DHA 0.1% min

L-Carnitine* 100 mg/kg min

Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 0.40% min

Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 3.50% min

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Rye, Whole Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Menhaden Fish Meal (natural source of DHA-Docosahexaneoic Acid), Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Natural Chicken Flavor, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Dried Egg, Blueberries, Cranberries, Flaxseed, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp Meal, Taurine, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Turmeric, Garlic, Sunflower Oil (natural source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Herring Oil (natural source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Dried Chicory Root, Black Malted Barley, Oil of Rosemary, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin C, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Potassium Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Potassium), Cobalt Proteinate (source of Chelated Cobalt), Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Salt, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, Bifidobacterium thermophilum, Bifidobacterium longum, Enterococcus faecium.

Now can you feed a puppy the wild kind of blue buffalo or is that too much protein?

Crude Protein 42.0% min

Crude Fat 16.0% min

Crude Fiber 3.0% max

Moisture 10.0% max

Calcium 1.0% min

Phosphorus 0.9% min

L-Carnitine* 100 mg/kg min

Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 0.25% min

Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 3.50% min

Beta-Carotene* 5.0 mg/kg min

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Potato Starch, Turkey Meal, Whitefish Meal, Salmon Meal, Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Oatmeal, Natural Chicken Flavor, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Flaxseed (natural source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Alfalfa Meal, Dried Kelp, Taurine, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Yucca Shidigera Extract, Turmeric, Herring Oil (natural source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Dried Chicory Root, Black Malted Barley, Oil of Rosemary, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Choline Chloride, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Salt, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, Enterococcus faecium.

That is what is in it

Or I'm strongly considering Taste of the Wild since it has no grains

Protein: 32% Fat: 18%

Calories: 3,750 kcal/kg (375 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy

Available in 5lb, 15lb and 30lb bags.

Ingredients

Duck, duck meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, roasted quail, roasted duck, smoked turkey, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

protien helps them to grow however TOO much can do more harm than good.

I would feed a few raw chicken wings for a day or 2 to help settle the stomach and in the meantime you will get some great replies from members who will have a good idea on what foods you can buy near you :)

Sorry I can't be of much help.....yep it's now 2.33 here, have been to a wedding and my eyes are closing slowly so i think it's time to call it a night lol

You don't say how much you are feeding, or how often?How old is he?

Overfeeding kibble will cause the runs, so maybe try reducing the amount? changing to quickly will have the same effect and if you do change or mix, do it gradually.

42% protien sounds very high to me. Our working teams are fed a 30% protien diet, which to me, is high enough.

Try a raw chicken wing or two a day alongside a reduced amount of kibble and a small pot of active yougurt (We use Yakault or actimel over here, so substitute whatever brand you have available). You should find this clears things up prety quickly.

Puppies need to be fed on a dried food designed for puppies.

We don't have Blue Buffalo where I live, are you feeding the ones for pups or the one for adult dogs? If it's the puppy range you are feeding, maybe it's just not suitable for him - not all dogs do well on the same brand of food so sometimes it can be a bit of trial and error finding what your dog does best on. If Blue Buffalo doesn't work, I'd try looking at Artemis or Eagle Pack Holistic (both available in the US if that's where you are) as they both make a puppy specific dried food range.

Puppies need different food to adult dogs, you shouldn't feed dried food that is designed for an adult dog to a pup and if you are feeding the adult BB I'd hazard a guess that this is what is causing the diarrehea.

He's 12 weeks and almost 20 lbs and I'm feeding 3/4 cup 3times a day. the vet said that's fine.

The blue buffalo is the puppy version.

I was just curious because taste of the wild is for all stages of life. People have said some pretty good stuff about it on here and I was just wondering if maybe the grains is what's hurting him.

Just seems that right when I added a tiny bit of the blue buffalo back into his diet he got the runs:confused: Just a couple of kibble! So I'm assuming that's what it is.

we'll see how he does today I didn't give him any blue buffalo. Any more food suggestions would be appreciated. I would rather keep him on kibble than raw.:byebye:

We put Zoya on Taste of the Wild at 10 months. It is recommended by the breeder we got Zoya from. Previously, we had her on Nutro Ultra Puppy. She did well on that, but it had a lot of rice, and for whatever reason, she developed a constant itching problem. Loose stools are sometimes difficult to determine the cause. And like others have indicated, some dogs have a problem with one food, where others do fine with it. Blue Buffalo is a good food, however, it does have a lot of grain.

A lot of Huskies have delicate digestive systems. Our last Husky, Elke, had the Husky Trots quite a bit. We would withhold food for 24 hours, then we gave her a mixture of ground turkey and white rice, both boiled and drained. We'd feed that to her for two days, or until her stool firmed up. Then we'd put her back onto her regular food, feeding her smaller amounts, more often, for several days, until we finally got back into the normal routine.

Blue Buffalo had a self-imposed recall on their food last year. They sub out the production of some of their products to other companies. One of these other companies, added more of some ingredient than what the recipe called for. It was not lethal, but could cause some reaction in some dogs. Kudos to Blue Buffalo for pulling the product when they found out. So they are a reputable company. As far as feeding the adult formula to a puppy goes; not a good idea. Way too much protein.

Thanks! Perhaps I could try a small bag of taste of the wild to see if that hurts his tummy. He went about a half hour ago and it wasn't runny but still soft and hard to pick up with a doggie bag. Any other food suggestions are appreciated. I'll try to add a little of the blue at lunch time to see if it causes softer poo or not. Could've just been the coccidious still hanging around, I don't know. He's had 2 doses of medication for that but I do know it's hard to get rid of.

Coccidious can take several weeks to clear up. The common meds used for this don't kill the protozoan, but inhibit their ability to reproduce. So it's the dog's immune system that needs time to completely rid the infestation. There are drugs that will kill the protozoan, but there can be long-term and some life-long side affects from those, such as dry eye.

Flies can spread the disease. How do you store your dog food? If not in a large plastic container with a lockable lid, you might want to consider getting one.

Thanks for the replies! I keep my dog food inside in our closet so there's no way for flies to get to it. He had the coccidious when we brought him home. It seems to get better for a couple of days and comes back. Hopefully as he grows it'll go away.

I think I am going to try taste of the wild I've heard so many good things about it. And if we feed it to the dog, we'll probably get the cat food version of it too. I definitely don't wanna keep him on a prescription diet long term! haha

Our girls are 7 months and get Kibble with a tablespoon of no grain canned pure meat protein with a tablespoon of yogurt, all mixed with water to make a nice gravy. The yogurt is great for digestion. We feed Horizon Complete Puppy.

Horizon Complete is a Canadian manufactured, high quality product that uses the very best ingredients Canada has to offer. This formula combines a unique blend of human grade ingredients, in optimal balance, plus a full menu of unique supplements and anti-oxidants.

Here is the analysis:

Ingredients: Chicken meal, fresh deboned chicken, whole grain rye, hulless barley, hulless oats, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), beet pulp (sugar removed), dried egg, ground flaxseed, salmon oil, sodium chloride, alfalfa meal, saskatoon berries, dried kelp, lysine, calcium carbonate, dried whole garlic, yucca schidigera extract, di-calcium phosphate, choline chloride, probiotics (dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product), methionine, mannan oligosaccharide (MOS), fructooligosaccharide (chicory root extract), vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, vitamin B12, riboflavin, niacin, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, biotin, vitamin C (ascorbyl phosphate), ferrous sulphate, iron proteinate*, zinc sulphate, zinc proteinate*, manganous oxide, manganese proteinate*, copper sulphate, copper proteinate*, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, seleno methionine, magnesium oxide.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein (min) 28.0 %

Crude Fat (min) 16.0 %

Crude Fibre (max) 3.0 %

Moisture (max) 10.0 %

Calcium (min) 1.1%

Phosphorus (min) 0.9%

Omega 3 (min)** 0.58 %

Omega 6 (min)** 4.73 %

Colostrum** 5,000 mg/kg

We recently had an issue with runny poo. Does your dog come in contact with other dogs? The girls were sent home from daycare because of diarrhea! We took them to the vet and learned that they had contracted both Gardia and Coccidosis. Medication has since cleared it up well. However, we are leary of going back to the doggy daycare! Some dogs are vaccinated against Gardia with their regular shots but our puppies were not I suppose. I have to check into vaccination now.

I apologise, I guess I didn't get to the second page of responses here and did not see that you have looked at coccidosis as a problem.