My cat hates my new puppy!!

Lavs

omg ok. im gonna lose my marbles. Sonoma has been home a month and my cat still hates her. Sometimes they get close and sniff but then Lou either runs away and hisses and swats. I don't want either of them to be stressed so I wonder how long it usually takes for a cat to become friends with or at least deal with a new pup. She was brought home as a baby baby and we had hammer our adult male dog, and they're totally in love forever and ever but Lou just can't deal with the pup.

It's not like I let the puppy maul her or anything and she still gets lovin' from us and she isn't even necessarily acting like she's pissed, just the cannot be near each other or Lou gets swatty (she's not declawed and she is never going to be)

Oh My God!! U have just described my house when we first got Nanook!! Lol we had 2 cats Kiara who was a year old and Narla who was 6 months, we brought Nanook home and all hell broke loose! Sadly we lost Narla a few months after but Kiara still won't tolerate the dog, we have had Nanook for 1 yr and 2 months now! Nanook would like to play and Kiara would like to scratch, luckily only round her neck and Nanook never seems to feel it because of all her fur. We just made sure that the cats always had somewhere that they could get away from Nanook if they wanted to be left in peace and tried to make things fair ie if the dog was only having a sniff and the cat started hissing Kiara got a telling off and visa versa, hope this helps and I wouldn't worry too much, curious puppy and all thatcc

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Oh My God!! U have just described my house when we first got Nanook!! Lol we had 2 cats Kiara who was a year old and Narla who was 6 months, we brought Nanook home and all hell broke loose! Sadly we lost Narla a few months after but Kiara still won't tolerate the dog, we have had Nanook for 1 yr and 2 months now! Nanook would like to play and Kiara would like to scratch, luckily only round her neck and Nanook never seems to feel it because of all her fur. We just made sure that the cats always had somewhere that they could get away from Nanook if they wanted to be left in peace and tried to make things fair ie if the dog was only having a sniff and the cat started hissing Kiara got a telling off and visa versa, hope this helps and I wouldn't worry too much, curious puppy and all thatcc

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

yeah we have a cat climber thing for her so she can be in the living room with us, also the basement door is open just enough for her to squeeze down but not the pup, downstairs = no dog zone. so you say just ride it out? i dont expect her to love the puppy like she loves hammer but frig no more hissing jeepers!

I'd agree with Samantha, just ride it out. They may never get in but that's the nature of cats. We have two cats George was 8 when we got the first dog and he wasn't pleased but he's virtually bomb proof. He chose to either ignore or just stay out of reach. And Li-lu who came after we got the dogs. She's actually worse at coping than George considering she's known them from 10 wks lol.

It'll work itself out eventually

yeah we have a cat climber thing for her so she can be in the living room with us, also the basement door is open just enough for her to squeeze down but not the pup, downstairs = no dog zone. so you say just ride it out? i dont expect her to love the puppy like she loves hammer but frig no more hissing jeepers!

I wouldn't worry too much, cats have a mind of their own I find, if Kiara wants a cuddle she'll just come up and get one. She spends most of her time in her bed next to the radiator tho lol, we tried "making them be friends" as in holding both animals nose to nose to get used to each other and we just came off worse from kitty scratches lol :) if the cat seems happy enough then leave her to it IMO if not you could try one of those DAP plug in's for cats that might help keep her stress free xx

Same here man we have 3 cats and a Chuiaua Named Bella , Bella never leaves her bed for anything and she put Meeks in her place already lol. 2 of the 3 cat won't come down stairs as much all females the others female she's a fatty she's just like I'm not letting this pest change my day to day life she gave her a hiss and swatwgen she got to close and also put meeks in her place lol all of this was closely monitored lol

Give it time, it'll work out-we have lots of cats and this happened with us, main thing is to teach the pup to like the cats as he will be the one to grow up and his reaction will be important as they normally would prey upon a cat. Now, our pup at 14 months likes the kitties, but also likes to chase them sometimes too. Demon cat, Michelle? Like this:

1hPxGmTGarM

Give it time, it'll work out-we have lots of cats and this happened with us, main thing is to teach the pup to like the cats as he will be the one to grow up and his reaction will be important as they normally would prey upon a cat. Now, our pup at 14 months likes the kitties, but also likes to chase them sometimes too. Demon cat, Michelle? Like this:

1hPxGmTGarM

lol ok louise never gets that bad. just hiss and run! i guess if they end up being able to tolerate each other thats all i can really ask for. the only time lou likes to go near my pup is if she's out cold sleeping.

i think too, in regards to the video, i'd be pretty pissed too if i lived in a cage like that and had ppl sticking a camera in my face and laughing....poor old meow.