Virtual Screens in Windows

Removed #5

One of the things I've liked about the various flavours of Linux I've tried is the ability to have several screens available to me. I keep different programs open on different screens and go there to do what I want to do. I wish I had the money or the desktop space for the several monitors some of you have, I don't so I look for alternatives.

Oh, I suppose it's safe to say that at any given time I may have a dozen programs open at once, kinda crowds the desktop and sometimes, even the taskbar.

I've looked at various "options" and all of them have either been really clumsy or worse yet crashed themselves and whatever I had running on them. They've lasted all of 15 minutes and "good-bye, charlie!" I've only had this up for about an hour, but so far NOTHING awkward and no crashes << knock on wood >>. I could get used to this!

Enter Dexpot - at the moment I have the normal 4 screens active, compile IDE on one; editor and Outlook on another; and Firefox on a third. Task manager tell me that I'm using about 10MB for this - I'm not complaining!

<< This is an unpaid comment. I just like the tool. Best of all, it's Free for personal use. >>

That's always the first thing that annoys me when I have to use Windows. On Linux I never minimize things, I just move it to another workspace since I have an unlimited amount of them. I always group certain programs together based on task. If you've worked with multiple workspaces/virtual screens you can never go back to the camped single screen space. It's really useful to have this! :)

I actually created my own implementation in Windows back when I was still using it. I don't even know how I did it, but I managed to do it in VB 6.0 :up:

Hmmmm might have a look at this. But then I kinda figure whats wrong with having windows minimised? I'm struggling to see what the advantage is to moving something to a different workspace rather than minimising something to the taskbar

Hmmmm might have a look at this. But then I kinda figure whats wrong with having windows minimised? I'm struggling to see what the advantage is to moving something to a different workspace rather than minimising something to the taskbar

It's sooo much better in organising and keeping your setup intact. I'm not sure about you, but when I'm developing I usually have quite a few windows open that I all need. If I have to minimize it every time I keep having to hunt down the icon in the taskbar every time I need it. I organised my developing environment to have all my windows close to each other. So the text editor on my left screen, browser on the right. Phpmyadmin and any extra docs/guides open on the workspace on the right, possible image editing software open on the workspace above it and any other additional things on the workspace on the left. With the amount of workspaces I have, I can still have all my chat windows open, stacked next to each other AND the browser which has my email/reader/husky-owners open. It's very neatly bundled together now :)

Maybe it sounds like overkill to have that many windows open, but when you have workspaces you basically don't close windows. You just organize it anyway you want and everything is ready at your leisure.

Okay, even with Windows 7 I set up a quick launch bar because I don't like have too many icons on my desktop. So my quick launch consists of:

1. Outlook

2. Command Prompt

3. directory Opus (( sooooo much better than Windows explorer! ))

4. Forté Agent

5. Notepad++

6. WinRAR

7. Visual Studio

8. FireFox & Internet Explorer

9. Media Monkey

All there and available to bring up (almost) immediately.

The icons on my desktop are basically transient, a shortcut to something I'm working on, something I'm looking at, some reference doc that'll go away when I'm done with it, folders containing information I might need. (( desktop icons are visible on all windows! ))

Also on my desktop ( visible on each window) are a GPU meter / CPU meter (with temp) / Network meter all on the Sidebar (they use too much CPU but I have to watch the CPU temp since I have no a/c here)

Of the four virtual windows:

1. Communnications

1. Outlook

2. FireFox

3. Agent

[*]Odd Tasks (( doing some house cleaning ))

1. WinRAR

2. Directory Opus

[*]Development

1. Visual Studio

2. Document Explorer

3. Debug environment

4. Notepad++ since my "reference files" tend to be text files.

Admitted I could keep all this on the taskbar and switch from one to the other, but as I"m housecleaning - I only have the windows open that I need at the moment. I can flip to the development environment and my housecleaning area is "put away" (I don't have to see it) and all I have on the desktop is Dev stuff. (( all that shows on the task bar, BTW are those programs that are open in this window. ))

I did have to get some help since open programs were drifting from window to window - argh!! - but the developer told me in one short message how to fix that!

It's not for everyone, but I like its convenience. (( Now I just wish I had the computer to really handle the various things I'm doing!! ))