E collar

BAGRI

The stim is used as a cue, as I've explained in my other posts in this thread, the dog's working level is the lowest perceivable level :)

So what is the stim...this isnt an attempt for me to argue I want to really know how it stimulates a dog but a person cant feel it..what does it use if not a shock? different level of what?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is the stim...this isnt an attempt for me to argue I want to really know how it stimulates a dog but a person cant feel it..what does it use if not a shock? different level of what?

When we refer to the 'stim' we are referring to what some people like yourself would call the 'shock'. It's important to remember that modern e-collars are nothing like shock collars that were around many years ago, they work using static electricity, it's not a painful sensation it's more like a vibration. To put it into perspective, as I mentioned earlier my e-collar has 127 levels and my dog's working level is around a 12-16. It's not painful and doesn't electrocute the dog like some people try to argue (LOL) - it's like a slight vibration. Actually my collar has a vibration only option and my dog actually finds that vibration button more aversive than the stim.

ETA: When we talk about using e-collars we talk about finding the dog's working level, every dog would have a different working level which is the lowest perceivable level the dog can feel, we are looking for the moment where the dog first feels the stim. The working level changes from dog to dog, it changes from people to people, that's why it's important to understand how to use tools like e-collars properly. if you didn't know what you were looking for you wouldn't actually notice when the dog first felt the stim because it's so subtle.

When we refer to the 'stim' we are referring to what some people like yourself would call the 'shock'. It's important to remember that modern e-collars are nothing like shock collars that were around many years ago, they work using static electricity, it's not a painful sensation it's more like a vibration. To put it into perspective, as I mentioned earlier my e-collar has 127 levels and my dog's working level is around a 12-16. It's not painful and doesn't electrocute the dog like some people try to argue (LOL) - it's like a slight vibration. Actually my collar has a vibration only option and my dog actually finds that vibration button more aversive than the stim.

Interesting. Still havnt changed my mind but good to know ^.^

Interesting. Still havnt changed my mind but good to know ^.^

It's one of those things that I find a lot of people get up in arms about until they get to use the tool themselves and see how it works. No-one who has ever seen my dog working would say she isn't super enthusiastic and loves what she does, using an e-collar on her certainly hasn't lessened her happiness or keenness to work.

This is one of our clients using the e-collar to help with her dog's recall, the dog actually recalls off chasing rabbits in the vid, the dog certainly looks happy (not abused LOL) to me :)

-ySy4AuNFIc

Zorra, as all huskys i know, do listen verry good indoors and in the back yard. on the beach or forest, she listens also verry good, until a surten point... after that, she gives me the Finger and runs of, not listening to anything i say.

also, as long as she is on a lead, she listens verry good.

i too was sceptic of the E-collar but i am verry happy now that i have one.

when the mail came in, i tryed the collar on myself first. ON ALL LEVELS... i did not get burnt or anything, i did experience pain from level 4+

since i am 75Kg and zorra is only 20Kg i am using level 1 or 2 and she reacts VERRY VERRY good on it, she feels the correction but it does not hurt more then a firm pull on a leash!

now when i go out, i put her on a leash, do some practice, and then unleash her and do some more practice WITHOUT using the E-collar. then when we are done with practice i give her FREE and of she goes playing...

So far no need of using the collar... BUT when i see that she is planning to get of, i only need to warn her with my voice, she stays with me at all times, visual distance.

i used the shock only 4 or 5 times since i had the E-collar, now i barly need it... once in a while she tries to break "her borders" and then only a little push on level 1 is enough to make her come back or make the point that she is not allowed to do something

THE COLLAR NEED TO BE USES PROPER on a LOWEST as possible level, when you need to push, use a voice correction as well, zorra respond MUCH MUCH better on my voice corrections now.

this collar also has a sound module, that you can use to reward the dog. when i think zorra is to far away from me, i push the sound button she lookes up and returns to my, in all happiness.

here is the link of the collar i use.

http://antiblaf.nl/petsafe-900m-deluxe-trainer-18kg-p-412.html[/HTML]