shedding and flea control questions

Hi,

(1) My one year old, Izzy, hasn't shed her undercoat yet. It's the middle of August and it's hot. I took her to the groomer to see if they could do it because I've spent hours upon hours working on it with no results. They were very confident they could get it out with a warm bath and special "shed less" shampoo and 7 hours later they were unable to get parts of it out and said her skin was becoming very irritated from trying for so long. Our other husky didn't shed his undercoat on his first summer either. Has anyone else experienced this? I just want her to cool off for the rest of the warm season.

(2) My other question concerns flea control. Both dogs are on Frontline and are always dosed monthly at the same time. We recently discovered that both dogs had fleas and that our apartment was minorly infested. So we got them a flea treatment at the groomer and bombed our apartment with Zodiac Flea Control. I'm unsure of the results so far, but does anyone have any recommendations as to what to do on top of Frontline?

Thank you!

Get a Furminator. Cheapest at Amazon.com They are great along with a slicker brush. Just stay ahead of the game and do not complain. Princess kinda sheds all the time instead of blowing which she does mostly on her butt.

Any flea treatment always involves the dogs, the house and if possible the yard. When I lived in an apartment I treated the area around the apartment with a yard treatment especially where I kept them tied up at while they played. Frontline works with the body oils, so try not to bathe too often. Got the right dose for the size???!!!

I heard K-9 Advantix is the best for fleas. In all honesty I used frontline on my cats and I hated it! It didn't work at all! Advantage works a little better, but I have still heard the best about Advantix. The furminator is a great brush! I got a whole grocery bag full of fur from my long haired black cat and I'm hoping to get the same results from Pongo when he is an adult. Good luck with the fleas!

Here is some natural ways:

Flea repellant for pets

How to make natural flea repellant for your pets.

Make your own natural flea and parasite repellant right in your own home, its safe, easy, and inexpensive too.

Natural therapies are making a big comeback for both people and their pets. Besides the improved good health of your pets, there are distinct advantages for using essential oils with your pets. The essential oils repel the fleas, ticks, and other parasites that try to make a home on your dog and cats body. Here are a few good remedies to rid you and your pet of those pesky parasites. Not only will these first two remedies disinfect your pet, but will condition their coat as well.

Add 1 to 2 drops, depending on your pets size, of either Lemongrass or Citronella oil to their shampoo and then use as usual. This not only works great but also leaves your pet smelling wonderful.

Take an old steel brush and a piece of material the same size as the face of the brush, the material needs to be thick, using a piece of an old bath towel would work great. Pull the material down over the teeth of the brush, about 1-inch above the base of the brush. Now prepare a bowl of warm water with either 4 drops of Cedarwood or Pine oil and soak the brush before using on your pets coat. As you brush your pet the fleas and other parasites and eggs will be collected on the brush. The brush must be rinsed out several times in the solution of water during this process.

If your pet is suffering seriously from fleas or other parasites, put 4 drops of Cedarwood or Lavender oil directly on the cloth, as above, and rub the material together to disperse the oil before putting it on the brush. Now use with plain warm water and rinse several times while brushing your pet.

Now after shampooing, and brushing your pet till their coat is soft and shining and rid of fleas, lets keep them away by making your own natural essential oil flea collar. Most commercially made flea collars are mad with toxic chemicals, which can be absorbed through the skin of our pets and us. An essential oil collar provides excellent protection against fleas and is very cheap and easy to make. Buy a soft material collar, the collar does not have to be expensive, and soak it in the following mixture.

1/2 Tsp Alcohol

1 drop Cedarwood

1 drop Lavender

1 drop Citronella

1 drop Thyme

4 Garlic Capsules

Break open the garlic capsules and add to the liquids above, blend your ingredients together, pour the mixture over the collar until all is absorbed. Let dry completely before putting on your pet, it should keep the fleas off for about 30 days. Blood is the fleas only food, but when garlic is detected in it they will leave well enough alone. Add 1 to 2 capsules of garlic to your pets diet during the spring and summer months. Now as you can see each process is really quite simple and inexpensive, but the wonderful thing about these remedies is they are all natural with no harmful chemicals added.

Written by Kim Draper - 2002 Pagewise

Great reply Damrod, added to rep :D

Kimba didn't have his first shed until just over a year old so don't worry.....definitely get a furminator though - couldn't live without mine now :D

We not got a furminator yet but will defo have to get one!! (heard from everyone its really good) :151:

For flea trearment on sibes we use Advocate (Apply at back of the neck once every month)

For worm treatment on sibes we use Drontal plus ( 2 tablets every 3 months)

Great reply Damrod added to Rep aswel :D

Add 1 to 2 capsules of garlic to your pets diet during the spring and summer months.

Just to say that people should be a little careful with garlic as in large enough quantities it is toxic to dogs. Having said that it is incredibly effective in flea control. We have wild garlic growing round our garden and (apart from the rescues we take in) we haven't seen a flea in years.

Mick