Help me make a website!

SaraB

My local kennel club is going to change their website. They want to new one to look better and have more options like a members page where you have to login to see, e-mails for all members, possibly a place where members can make profiles, plenty of pages (unlimited would be best), easy to use, and to be able to use paypal to sell thing on it (like grooming spaces at our annual dog show). Any recommendations? I've only made one website before, but it was one of those really simple ones and you couldn't do too much with it.

This is what their site looks like now: http://www.westvolusiakennelclub.com/

Totally OT but I looked at the breeder referral and I just cannot believe how different the American GSDs are from the imports. I just can't understand how the American lines are even considered functional! Rant over. I have no idea how to design a web page. Lol

Oh no! You start your own thread about that! I need website ideas! lol. That issue can be talked about forever! I personally think one of the main down falls was making them stack differently than ALL other breeds! I mean, come on, really?! It's supposed to show what they look like moving I think. But wait! Don't the judges get to see the dog moving anyway! That's one reason why I get nervous anytime I see a husky with a sloped back do well in the ring. But rant over, back to websites!!! :D

CSS?

I've only done a few basic site - and admittedly badly, but I learned early on that using CSS = Cascading Style Sheets, rather than embedding style in each page / line is a lot more convenient.

Of course, I'm looking at what is probably the output of one of the Version Control Systems ... so I really don't know what the other person is really doing.

And actually I see 4 references to style sheets, an in line style and style on individual items - the boy was either drunk or had one bang up headache!!!

Criticisms:

It's an interesting site, but way too "busy". Too many different items on a single screen.

For example, one page has several ( 6 - 7 ) slide show on it. It's be easier to view if they were on separate pages with more comments about each one.

There are places where they have email addys - which are not links to mailto: other places where they are - consistency makes a great beginning.

A page for bios, and of the several dogs shown on the page, only one item is really a bio; the others are < well. who knows > (( btw, dogs normally wouldn't have a bio, while their owners probably do. ))

Suggestions:

Go to a multi level slide out / drop down menu. It makes life a lot easier on the end user - not for the designer / "programmer". It let's you organize everything into related areas of interest.

Pictures are pretty - and with comments are interesting. Pictures without comments, for someone just visiting the site are meaningless.

Tables are a pain in the <whatever> but there are times they are useful. The breeder page is malformed because this is one of the places where a table would be very useful.

Do away with the drop down at the top of the page, it makes my screen flicker everytime I load a page - it's aggravating and if you want someone to "like" you, you don't really want to irritate them!

First page:

Why do they have the "Ribbon"in the center, doesn't that really repeat what they have for a logo?

Center justified text is a pain! Write a paragraph and let it go at that. If they want someone to read the paragraph, make it readable!

What's the map point to. Gee, it's pretty but I'd also have to say pretty useless. Is it the location where their offices are, the location of an event or ?????

The deLeland dog show is a past even, put it there! Ditto show results, if the site were organized nicely, it would be easy to get to the most current past events - putting them as links on the home page is needless clutter.

Why are they hosted out of the Netherlands - they're a Florida (501c3?) I would have expected the to be hosted here in the states.

If those are the type of comments you were looking for .... I can give you a few pages more, but ....

No I don't do design, I can offer suggestions, I can tell when something is just plain wrong but I don't have the expertise to atually do the design work.

And after that small critique, I really do hope you didn't do the design work.

If you want, pm me and I'll give you an instant messenger addy...... //al

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...