Werewolf/Lycanthrope Movies, Books, and Video games

Elyse

I just want to know if there are any fellow werewolf/lycanthrope fans out there besides me.

When I say 'werewolf' or 'lycanthrope', I don't mean the stupid shifters in the Twilight saga. I mean the bipedal creatures that lose control of themselves, the transformation is very painful, and they live a life of suffering.

I love the fact that the werewolf legend mimics what true human nature is like - we kill for sport, so do werewolves. We can be savage and brutes, just like werewolves.

ANYWAY, all philosophical things aside...what are your favourite werewolf/lycanthrope movies? And why? What are you favourite books, and why? And do you have any favourite videogames that feature werewolves? ...why? (Didn't see that last 'why' coming, now did ya? ;) )

Maybe we can make a huge list and recommend titles to each other...

(because, everyone knows werewolves > vampires....)

My favourite movies are (in no particular order) :

- Ginger snaps 1 and 2.

I love the messages in the films and how lycanthropy is a metaphor for a woman's menstrual cycle. (Werewolves in legend transform during the full moon - every 28 days - and the average woman's menstrual cycle is 28 days...)

- Underworld 1 , 2 , 3

- Van Helsing

- The Howling

- Blood and Chocolate

This movie/book is the first one I've seen/read where the werewolves are more like actual wolves than the bipedal creatures. Very fascinating.

- An American Werewolf in London

- An American Werewolf in Paris

- Wolf Man (both versions)

- Wolf

- Bad Moon

The book and the movie are both excellent. The book is told mostly from the German Shepherd's POV.

- Wolfen

- Dog Soliders

- Cursed

- Wilderness

- Silver Bullet

- LadyHawke

Favourite books (not in any order...) :

- "Tales of an Urban Werewolf" book series by Karen MacInerney

- Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause

- "Bitten" series by Kelly Armstrong

- The 'Shiver' series by Maggie Stiefvater

Is okay. Very unique concept for werewolves (they shift as the temperature gets colder, but they only have a certain amount of 'shifts'. They don't remember what they did as wolves. Eventually they shift into wolves and they don't shift back, forever lost in the body of the wolf. Then, they only survive 5 more years as a wolf (why the author chose 5, I have no idea.) before they die. But the plot, I find, is mostly VERY cheesy romance which is unfortunate. Also cliche...but....I only read them because I like the werewolf concept because it's actually based on science rather than magic.

-Shapeshifter By J.F. Gonzalez

- Wolfbreed by S.A Swann

- Embracing the Wolf by Felicity Heaton

Short story. A sexual scene in it. The plot is okay; mostly involves around a woman that is fighting to control her wolfish instincts. Won't give away anymore than that.

Upcoming Werewolf Movies I'm looking forward to:

- Werewolves VS Gladiators

- Freeborn (though, I think it was cancelled. :( One can always hope...)

-

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG Blood and Chocolate was a terrible movie! It might have been okay if they called it something else, but it had nothing to do with the book. Annette Curtis Klause was actually pretty choked with how far they deviated from the book - she had virtually no say in how it went. She had a posting pretty well venting about it when it was first released but I can't find it now. They butchered it.

I wouldn't call Brotherhood of the Wolf a werewolf movie, but it is one of my favourites nonetheless!

Not a movie, but for books my absolute favourite werewolf series is from Kelley Armstrong. Bitten is the first one featuring her werewolf characters, and they're just great.

If you like sociological werewolf=female nature type of themes, you'll love the book Nadya, by Pat Murphy. It's about a young girl who is a werewolf in the late 19th century (think Old West) trying to survive on her own.

I'm pretty picky about werewolf movies, and I haven't seen one yet that successfully embodies the the style that I like without lameass storylines, bad cg and/or bad actors. But there are some on this list that I haven't seen, so I'm excited to go check them out!

I enjoyed Ginger Snaps for the social commentary, Dog Soldiers was just plain great - movies don't freak me out very often and that one sure did! Van Helsing was good fun, Underworld 1 - yes, 2 - good gods no! 3 - meh, not bad. The new Wolf Man was the worst movie I've seen in years (probably since Blood and Chocolate, LOL!), and I didn't like Jack Nicholson's Wolf, either. I'm trying to think of what I would consider my favourite werewolf movie to be right now and nothing's coming to mind...

OMG Blood and Chocolate was a terrible movie! It might have been okay if they called it something else, but it had nothing to do with the book. Annette Curtis Klause was actually pretty choked with how far they deviated from the book - she had virtually no say in how it went. She had a posting pretty well venting about it when it was first released but I can't find it now. They butchered it.

I wouldn't call Brotherhood of the Wolf a werewolf movie, but it is one of my favourites nonetheless!

Not a movie, but for books my absolute favourite werewolf series is from Kelley Armstrong. Bitten is the first one featuring her werewolf characters, and they're just great.

If you like sociological werewolf=female nature type of themes, you'll love the book Nadya, by Pat Murphy. It's about a young girl who is a werewolf in the late 19th century (think Old West) trying to survive on her own.

I'm pretty picky about werewolf movies, and I haven't seen one yet that successfully embodies the the style that I like without lameass storylines, bad cg and/or bad actors. But there are some on this list that I haven't seen, so I'm excited to go check them out!

I enjoyed Ginger Snaps for the social commentary, Dog Soldiers was just plain great - movies don't freak me out very often and that one sure did! Van Helsing was good fun, Underworld 1 - yes, 2 - good gods no! 3 - meh, not bad. The new Wolf Man was the worst movie I've seen in years (probably since Blood and Chocolate, LOL!), and I didn't like Jack Nicholson's Wolf, either. I'm trying to think of what I would consider my favourite werewolf movie to be right now and nothing's coming to mind...

I saw the movie before the book, but after reading the book...I agree that the movie DOES suck. I just pretend they're two different stories, and the characters happen to be named the same, and it makes me feel better. LOL :D

Do you know that the 'werewolves' in the B&C movie were actual wolves? It says on the DVD commentary. The wolves are sort of 'tame' because they were rescued as puppies by a professional wildlife handler...but the actors got bit a bunch of times still because wolves are still unpredictable! The plot is dragging in comparison to the book, but I like the way they did the wolf chase scenes...though I think the wolves deserved more screen time. :(

Oh, we can talk about werewolf books here too. Maybe I should ask @Sarah to change the title a bit?

I like Bitten by Kelly Armstrong as well. A bunch of other good books (most have sexual scenes in them but they all have good plots) are:

- "Tales of an Urban Werewolf" book series by Karen MacInerney

- Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause

- "Bitten" series by Kelly Armstrong

(It's really hard trying to remember all the good books I have when I'm not at home to look at my shelf...)

- The 'Shiver' series by Maggie Stiefvater are okay. Very unique concept for werewolves (they shift as the temperature gets colder, but they only have a certain amount of 'shifts'. They don't remember what they did as wolves. Eventually they shift into wolves and they don't shift back, forever lost in the body of the wolf. Then, they only survive 5 more years as a wolf (why the author chose 5, I have no idea.) before they die. But the plot, I find, is mostly VERY cheesy romance which is unfortunate. Also cliche...but....I only read them because I like the werewolf concept because it's actually based on science rather than magic.

-Shapeshifter By J.F. Gonzalez

I know there's more sitting on my shelf, but I can't think of anymore. They'll come to me.

EDIT: I've also heard good things about "The Wild Hunt" by James A. Moore. I think I'm gonna check it out...

EDIT 2: And, I've also heard good things about "Shara" by Steven Wedel

Heh, it was the magical, flowy and PINK changes that killed me. When I saw the trailer I was all "OMG NO." I made myself watch it (on video) just because it was such an enjoyable book, but I swear I nearly cried. The boy turning away from her because of how hideous the change is was pivotal point in the book, and not only is it non-existent, they made it into Romeo and Juliet are Chased by Wolves.

I absolutely love 'Dog Soldiers', mostly due to the humour. 'The Company of Wolves' is quite a nice one as well, it plays like you would read between the lines of a fairy tale...the pack all being Belgian Shepherds does kind of spoil things, but a real wolf is used in some scenes. 'Cursed' made me chuckle a bit, its so bad its halfway decent, but then I do tend to enjoy crap B-movies for being what they are. And I wouldn't be without 'An American Werewolf in London', one of the very first horror films I ever saw, not long after it came out on Betamax...I started on horror films early :D

I DID NOT MEAN TO SAY MOVIE. I meant book ! xD

I hated the movie, even though I saw it first. ) :

B-movies are nice to watch sometimes - as they usually have a good plot...but just none of the fancy special effects that big budgets have.

As for upcoming movies...I'm looking forward to 'Werewolves VS Gladiators'. It seems like it'll be fun to see. I also want Freeborn to come out, but I think it was cancelled. Too bad - it had such a huge following...

Oh, and just as a reminder...the Twilight saga isn't allowed here. They aren't werewolves...they're freaky shape-shifter people. :P

I DID NOT MEAN TO SAY MOVIE. I meant book ! xD

I hated the movie, even though I saw it first. ) :

Wait...what? So you hate both the book and the movie?

As for upcoming movies...I'm looking forward to 'Werewolves VS Gladiators'. It seems like it'll be fun to see.

OMG I haven't heard of this and I need to be a part of it!!! I expect it will probably be so bad it's good, but I'm okay with that.

On a related note, I'm a big fan of the TV series Being Human. I have only seen the Canadian version, not the original UK version, but once I'm done season 1 I intend to track it down and watch it. Josh is great as an unwilling werewolf - he's a puppy dog-eyed guy who just wants to be normal and is horrified by what he is. I first saw the previews - a werewolf and the most stereotypical-looking vampire ever become roommates and find out the house they rent is haunted by the ghost of a pretty young woman - and thought it was the most ridiculous, try-hard concept to pop out since Vampire Diaries. but I take it back, because it's actually a clever and entertaining show!

Not quite a werewolf, but... Have you seen the movie Ladyhawke? There's a curse involved, and Rutger Hauer's character changes into a wolf by night... A teenage Matthew Brodrick (Ferris Bueller's Day Off) has a very comic role in it - one of my favorite movies!

• 2 weeks later...

Something else i remembered is World of warcraft...I used to play it far far too much and on it there was a boss fight where you could get 1 of 3 bosses....Wizard of OZ, Romeo and Juliet and Red riding hood otherwise known as the big bad wolf which was always fun because it ended in you having to beat the wolf and every so often he would a member of your group into little red riding hood and he would chase you around....Just thought i would stick it on here :)

Two more awesome werewolf books.

Frostbite by David Wellington and its sequel

Overwinter by David Wellington

Both are very WELL written books; have a very different take (but still awesome!) twist on lycanthropes and other supernatural creatures. Won't spoil the ending; but its epic.

For the past 12 years I ve struggled to find a good vampire / warewolf writer or settle with any other than Brian Lumley. It was then I first read the Necroscope saga 12 Books back to back, I would order the next book as I picked up the book I was going to read so I knew I wouldnt be without the story. I was that hooked. When the journey was over I couldnt find another writer that could deliver me what I wanted out of a story.

So I started to read more of lumleys work, He was a Lovecraft fan himself which is evident in his early books and through reading his other titles could see how the necroscope was born.

As I couldnt find anything I have been reading the sega again, it still left me wanting more, but at the same time I dont want it to end again.

I dont want to tell you about the story incase I spoil anything but defo look them up online.

My Favourites are

Necroscope

Psychomech triology

The Transition of Titus Crow

Two more awesome werewolf books.

Frostbite by David Wellington and its sequel

Overwinter by David Wellington

Both are very WELL written books; have a very different take (but still awesome!) twist on lycanthropes and other supernatural creatures. Won't spoil the ending; but its epic.

just Googled these. I'm intrigued - off to Chapters I go!

Not sure if I posted about this series before...but there's also the "Kitty Norville" series by Carrie Vaughn. I'm on the 3rd book now - and they're pretty good. Different, as well, but its starting to get a tad old. I hope the series gets better, or I'm gonna ditch it.

just Googled these. I'm intrigued - off to Chapters I go!

Glad to be of service! :)

Did you check them out yet?

For the past 12 years I ve struggled to find a good vampire / warewolf writer or settle with any other than Brian Lumley. It was then I first read the Necroscope saga 12 Books back to back, I would order the next book as I picked up the book I was going to read so I knew I wouldnt be without the story. I was that hooked. When the journey was over I couldnt find another writer that could deliver me what I wanted out of a story.

So I started to read more of lumleys work, He was a Lovecraft fan himself which is evident in his early books and through reading his other titles could see how the necroscope was born.

As I couldnt find anything I have been reading the sega again, it still left me wanting more, but at the same time I dont want it to end again.

I dont want to tell you about the story incase I spoil anything but defo look them up online.

My Favourites are

Necroscope

Psychomech triology

The Transition of Titus Crow

Thanks - gonna have to look at those. :)

Not sure if I posted about this series before...but there's also the "Kitty Norville" series by Carrie Vaughn. I'm on the 3rd book now - and they're pretty good. Different, as well, but its starting to get a tad old. I hope the series gets better, or I'm gonna ditch it.

...Did you check them out yet?

Yeah, I've read the Kitty series too. They were okay. There's also a series by Patricia Briggs about a shapeshifter (turns into a coyote) who was raised by a pack of werewolves. They're actually pretty good, though the spin-off books aren't that great (the Alpha-Omega series). I've only read the first 4, there's 6 total now. They're better than the Kitty books but nowhere near as good as Kelley Armstrong's series.

And yes! I picked up Frostbite and Overwinter last Wednesday. I finished Frostbite in 2 days and I'm halfway through Overwinter now. Frostbite was hugely entertaining, though I felt the end was super-rushed and anti-climatic. You're right though - it's definitely a different spin and I really enjoy it. I'm on the fence about Overwinter so far - it reads an awful lot more fanfic-ish compared to the first one and I'm not getting into the characters as much (though Monty was a pretty weak character to begin with).

• 3 months later...