help with food

Just got a new pup born arpil 15 when we took him home breeder had him on diamond adult food we changed diet , pup has been to vet 2 x for diarhea,got shots and meds,now on california natural 1/2 cup and I boil chicken and give 1 teaspoon brown rice and 1 teaspoon pumpkin 2 x day still has runs, I give him spring water. Any suggestions on what food sibs do best on. Help!!!!!

Hi Meiko, welcome to the pack :)

Not sure how big your cups are but it sounds like he's maybe having too much at once. As he's so young, try splitting his food between 3 / 4 smaller meals throughout the day and see if this works.....it's so easy to over feed a sibe and gets messy, as you're experiencing - don't worry though, we've all been there.

maybe try this and let us know how you get on?

have you go any pics you can upload for us to cooo over lol

Our sibe is 9 months old and when he gets bad wet poo's we give him raw chicken wings or probiotic yoghurt and it hardens it up quick, Im not sure why but it seems to do the trick :D

I think your pup might be to young for the wings just yet but the probiotic yoghurt might be an idea.

Hope your lil pup feeling better soon!

Mary x x x x

Meiko - First, have you had the stool tested for worms? If not, but I suppose you have, take in a sample to the vet and have it checked. Rawhides? Do you let your dog have them? We found that some sold at the box stores have been chemically treated, and give some dogs the runs. We don't let Zoya have rawhides for that reason and that Sibes can't digest them. In a puppy, they can render a blockage in the intestinal tract, and that will lead to either constipation or diarhea.

Diamond Pet Food has gotten a bad rap here in the US, because one individual did not do their job and took a short cut, which cost the company lots of money. Never-the-less, you should be feeding your pup, puppy food. It could be the food itself. Some dogs will not tolerate certain brands or mixes of food. It can take several days to clear up the problem.

When Zoya first came home from the breeder, she had liquid pouring out, due to the worms. We withheld food from her for one day. We then put her on a mixture of boiled rice mixed 1 cup of rice to 1 cup of steamed ground turkey. We fed her 1/4 cup twice a day, (and mixed in some cheddar cheese to help block things up a bit) for four days. After that, we put her on a mixture of the rice/turkey at a rate of 3 parts to 1 part of Nutro Ultra Puppy food for two days, then uped the puppy food to a 50/50 mix for two days, then 3 parts pupply food to 1 part rice/turkey for two days, then all puppy food. The key is to gradually change over, otherwise, the poor dog will continue to have digestive problems.

Last, some dogs do not tolerate any grain in their food. I'm not familiar with Califronia Natural, but see if it contains any wheat or corn. A lot of foods do contain wheat or corn, and some dogs simply cannot tolerate either. We have Zoya on a grain free dog food now. We switched her from puppy food to current food about a month ago.

I know these issues are not fun to deal with. It may help to keep a log for a short while, to help get a handle on what you are feeding, when, how much, and the end results (stool).

Since you're dealing with diarrhea I'd cut back on all that you're feeding and to eliminate more tummy trouble. Rice tends to cause stomach upset in a good number of sibes and based on the recommendation of boiled chicken and rice for diarrhea I found that the rice portion of that suggestion actually made my boy's diarrhea worse. Yogurt also does not agree with mine either.

How long has your pup been on the new food? From the sounds of it you must not have had your pup long so they may not have had adequate time to adjust to their new environment and food yet. You could also try a couple raw chicken wings (just make sure to hold them so your pup doesn't swallow it whole).