She's ALWAYS panting non-stop

Hi there,

My husky is 15 months old. She looks very healthy and behaves completely normal, except for one problem, she's panting all day long. As soon as she wakes up, she starts panting and until she goes to bed, she won't stop. We live in Texas, a pretty warm place however we have air conditioner and she pants even when she's in an air conditioned place. Sometimes she lays right under the air conditioner with cold air blowing at her and she's still panting. Even while I'm giving her a cold bath, she's still panting. I thought panting meant they are too hot but she's panting even when she's not too hot. Here is my observation of her:

1. She makes no noises, no vocal cries or whines.

2. Her eating behavior and poop seems normal.

3. She is very playful, very energetic. She goes to dog park everyday and hangs out there for 3-4 hours, no signs of fatigue. She's well exercised and in great shape.

4. She's in perfect weight for her size.

5. She socializes and acts as normal. She doesn't act like she's sick or anything. Sometimes she'll be panting and wagging at the same time.

I don't know what could be wrong with her. I already removed most of her inner coat using furminator. What could it be?

Well I don't know exactly what to say, but seeing that you live in Texas, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the heat. Even with the air conditioner it might still be too hot for her. What temperature do you keep your house at during the summer?

I keep it around 25 Celcius/75 fahreneit. She lays right in front of the AC though, which should be cooler than the room temperature.

The thing is, she continues to pant even during a cold bath/shower.

i agree that it seems its more likely the heat than anything else, especially if shes at the dog park for hours - what time do you normally take her to the dog park?

I take her to a park that's open at nights with lights on so I usually take her to the park after the sun goes down and weather cools down.

I keep it around 25 Celcius/75 fahreneit. She lays right in front of the AC though, which should be cooler than the room temperature.

The thing is, she continues to pant even during a cold bath/shower.

I agree that panting all the time sounds excessive, still 25 degrees Celsius is a bit warm for huskies. Could you lower the temperature to 20-22 degrees for a few days and see if she stops panting all the time?

We do get quite hot summers here and mine does pant an awful lot, not all the time though.

Is there any possibility that something is stressing her out? How long ago did the panting start? Can you remember if she was panting the same way last year, in the summer?

I would also suggest testing her for heartworms/lungworms just to rule it out; I would also have her checked up for lung infections/problems if you are really convinced that the panting is excessive.

Definitely heartworm test.

Cushing's Disease can also cause excessive panting so I would bring it up; it might not be likely, but it's worth asking about it.

Also hypothyroidism can be a cause, so I would ask for her T4 and T3 hormones to be tested.

These are the most serious ones I can think about. Of course, besides that the vet should listen to her heart and do a full set of blood tests - haemogram and some blood chemistry. The vet would probably be able to go into anything more specific than that, like chest x-rays or EKG, if they think it's necessary.

Definitely heartworm test.

Cushing's Disease can also cause excessive panting so I would bring it up; it might not be likely, but it's worth asking about it.

Also hypothyroidism can be a cause, so I would ask for her T4 and T3 hormones to be tested.

These are the most serious ones I can think about. Of course, besides that the vet should listen to her heart and do a full set of blood tests - haemogram and some blood chemistry. The vet would probably be able to go into anything more specific than that, like chest x-rays or EKG, if they think it's necessary.

I thought Cushing's Disease and hypothyroidism were mostly seen in older dogs and symptoms usually don't appear until at least age 4-5. My husky is only 1 year old.