Feeding other pets Raw/Barf

Hi all,

I was just wondering if any one has any experience in feeding their other dogs or cats on Barf or Raw?

I’m currently changing Strikes diet to Barf with meaty bones, I was chopping up some chicken breast and the cats showed an interest and my Chihuahua, I gave the cats a bit but she looked at it, licked, chewed it a bit, pawed it and then stared at it , I’m not sure she knows was to do with it :D. But my Chihuahua will lick it and then carry it off to hide it, which is my worse nightmare raw chicken all over the house! :blink: I even tired him on a little chicken wing and he sniffed turned his nose up walked away, he only seems to like chicken cooked.

I think the cats would prob do better on mince so I’m going to try some turkey mince today, do you have any ideas? Also is there a prob with just feeding mince? my female cat is pretty small I’m not sure she could handle bones like a chicken wing

:60:

my staffy x tends to only eat raw mince - he will have the occasionally cooked chicken (no bones) or tripe - but prefers the mince so thats mainly what he gets - cant imagine it will do MUCH harm - i mean he used to eat cat food :lol: lol

That’s funny my Chihuahua peanut is also partial to cat food so much so I have to feed them up high, he's really not fond of dog food I have tried nearly every brand occasionally he will eat Cesar in small amounts or Applaws and nearly all types of kibble but mostly he will sit and look at it as if to say “you expect me to eat this?†I worry about him as he wont eat kibble as a meal he will come and go to the bowl and snack if I try the put bowl then and then pick up after 15 min he wont eat at all! :blink: so I tend to leave it down, he is getting a bit porky too.

I was just under the impression that they NEEDED bones? I know prize choice mince contains bones but I’m currently purchasing turkey mince from Asda that should have bones too right?

- do you cook the tripe?

Pasha (our cat) is raw fed, he started turning his nose up at cat food and going for Nadia's dinner so it just seemed natural to do the switch. He gets meaty bones (so he actually gets to chew a bit, I take the bones away when he's cleaned them off) and ground soft bones.

I got an old fashioned manual meat mincer for 10 quid and I crush mostly chicken backs with a small piece of liver in there for him as bone/organ, and he'll get chicken, turkey, fish, beef and lamb as meat alternating a different protein source each day if possible, he likes variety - the little bugger gets bored of something if he has it 3 days in a row. He's also partial to tripe but I don't like giving them bleached tripe and finding green tripe is next to impossible out here.

They *need* bone so if you find your cat can't crush the bone hersey, grind it for her :)

My biggest problem with feeding both Nadia and Pasha on raw is that they tend to go for each other's dinner. Nadia will wolf down Pasha's ground bones the minute I turn my back and Pasha will run off with Nadia's whole chicken backs given half a chance..

Pasha (our cat) is raw fed, he started turning his nose up at cat food and going for Nadia's dinner so it just seemed natural to do the switch. He gets meaty bones (so he actually gets to chew a bit, I take the bones away when he's cleaned them off) and ground soft bones.

I got an old fashioned manual meat mincer for 10 quid and I crush mostly chicken backs with a small piece of liver in there for him as bone/organ, and he'll get chicken, turkey, fish, beef and lamb as meat alternating a different protein source each day if possible, he likes variety - the little bugger gets bored of something if he has it 3 days in a row. He's also partial to tripe but I don't like giving them bleached tripe and finding green tripe is next to impossible out here.

They *need* bone so if you find your cat can't crush the bone hersey, grind it for her :)

My biggest problem with feeding both Nadia and Pasha on raw is that they tend to go for each other's dinner. Nadia will wolf down Pasha's ground bones the minute I turn my back and Pasha will run off with Nadia's whole chicken backs given half a chance..

lol :lol:

i just threw on of those hand mincers out last month :blink:

Ä°f they're being fed on raw only then they do need bones, not just for the teeth but for the nutrition (particularly their calcium requirement) it provides. There's a lot more to feeding a cat raw than a dog because they are carnivores and need fresh meat for taurine. I feed beef heart twice a week for example instead of taurine supplements but there are other things one can feed, that's entirely up to you and your cats preferences..

I read somewhere that when feeding cats Raw, they need more protien than a dog Idealy more organ meat, There bodys break it down better here it one site I found http://www.rawfed.com/myths/cats.html http://www.catinfo.org/ I really liked this second web site when I had to reserch diffrent feeding methods when my cat got crystals in his urine, I hope this helps

I read somewhere that when feeding cats Raw, they need more protien than a dog Idealy more organ meat, There bodys break it down better here it one site I found http://www.rawfed.com/myths/cats.html http://www.catinfo.org/ I really liked this second web site when I had to reserch diffrent feeding methods when my cat got crystals in his urine, I hope this helps

Thank you :laola: