Laptop won't play HD videos?

Hyshqa

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 1545, 3GB ram

I got a HD video camera for christmas and I've filmed a lot of videos of Kiska that I'd like to edit and upload (or at least WATCH!) but whatever media player I use - I've tried windows media player, divX, quick time, real time) the screen is just a shot of the very first part of the video and never changes from that. I can sometimes hear the video in the background even if the image doesn't change, but sometimes it's just a loud SHHHHHHHH noise instead. I can't even open the videos in windows movie maker to change the format, so potentially all these little memories of Kiska are lost if I can't find a way to play them :( Any idea what's up, or how I can get them to play properly?

What kind of video format is it? (does the filename end with .mpg, .mts or .avi etc?). My camera produces mts-files which even my computer (I bought this pc specifically for rendering videos) cannot play. Only the first few seconds play and than it freezes (but the sound keeps playing). I always convert my files to more suitable formats before editing.

How big are the files? If you have one that isn't too big, maybe you can upload one file so I can see what it may be?

Alternatively, your lapot may not be powerful enough to play HD files. My laptop won't play 720p videos on Youtube as well, it just stutters.

You could try google"ace mega codec pack or KLite codec pack" install this and play the files with media player classic(wich will install with the pac) or you could try VLC media player but i would try the first option.

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 1545, 3GB ram

I got a HD video camera for christmas and I've filmed a lot of videos of Kiska that I'd like to edit and upload (or at least WATCH!) but whatever media player I use - I've tried windows media player, divX, quick time, real time) the screen is just a shot of the very first part of the video and never changes from that. I can sometimes hear the video in the background even if the image doesn't change, but sometimes it's just a loud SHHHHHHHH noise instead. I can't even open the videos in windows movie maker to change the format, so potentially all these little memories of Kiska are lost if I can't find a way to play them :( Any idea what's up, or how I can get them to play properly?

No they're MP4 files which I know my computer is capable of playing =/ My laptop can play the HD videos on youtube so I figured it would be fine with these. This is the video camera, in case the specs mean something more to you XD http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanyo-VPC-CG100EXBK-B-Xacti-Camcorder-Photos/dp/B0038WAT1W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298313531&sr=8-2

I'll try to upload a video to youtube and see if I can view it then. If I can upload a video I'll post the link here.

http://www.amazon.co...98313531&sr=8-2

I'll try to upload a video to youtube and see if I can view it then. If I can upload a video I'll post the link here.

I actually meant the actual file, not the video because YouTube converts them to something else to play them via the web ;) I've been rendering all my videos to mp4 lately and it works without any problems here. MP4 uses the mpeg4 video codec. I'm not sure about the mp4 support in windows media player but I know VLC does play them. Try playing them in VLC because that program can play almost any video. If it still doesn't work than either your laptop can't handle it, or the file is corrupt and/or not an mpeg4 video.

I'd recommend VLC as well. It's what I use for all of my video viewing and it hasn't given me any trouble.

Alternatively, it could be that your video camera records the videos into 'clips' and you have to use a program to convert those 'clips' into actual viewable files. I know my new Sony video camera does that. Your camera should come with a CD, and that CD should have the software required to convert the clips. If not, then there's always free programs on the internet you can try.